Can I Survive This?

luxx

Hi, I'm sorry if this isn't on the right forum.

So I just finished 9th grade and I'm starting high school after summer. I live in Finland so we have the pre-ib year before the actual ib. We got the introduction letter to the school and the list of books we have to buy and suddenly a wave of regret washed over me. Can I actually make it through? Did I actually overestimate my abilities? I did very well in middle school but I think that has more to do with the fact that it was just really easy. Finnish schools (at least before high school) give very little homework and the tests are generally easy. In 8th grade I did quite well even when I didn't study at all, so I think the subjects in general are just easy. I'm not at all used to loads of work or even writing a lot of essays. And I need to get at least a score of 38 ( 6, 6, 6, 6, 7, 7) is it even possible? I'm just doubting myself now. I thought I could do it but maybe I'm actually not smart enough? I'm going to have to sacrifice all my hobbies because I fear if I don't study enough I won't get good grades. I'm just scared. But I don't want to back out either, I got myself into this mess and I'll work it out. I have to, I don't want to disappoint myself. 

The book descriptions are intimidating, like jesus. Cambridge University Biology? A month ago I was still using goddamn picture books in basically everything. 

What now? I planned to take HL Chemistry, Biology and Psychology (not sure about that one though) and SL Math, English and Finnish. I want to get into med school but if I can't do this then surely I can't do that either. 

I'm sorry this is so poorly and confusingly written.

It sounds like me when I was in 8th grade. You'll be fine if you work hard. Also Cambridge University is the publisher (Cambridge University Press); it doesn't mean you are using a uni textbook. As long as you work efficiently and not procrastinate, you don't have to sacrifice anything

Firstly, I want you to calm down and realize you can do anything you point your mind to - even IB! Moreover, your question was well-written and not confusing at all, you don't need to apologize.

Realize how lucky you are to have a pre-IB course because, despite the added intensity in that one year, you'll have time to get acquainted with the IB coursework. I've just finished the IB, so believe me when I say that a lot of it just takes some getting used to - since so much of the course relies on the IB Finals, use this one year as preparation to understand how IB questions are asked and how to answer them. This will save you a lot of time and energy when you start in 2019. 

IB is a university preparation course so regarding your classes, they will be difficult but certainly not impossible! I agree with @kw0573 in saying that you should work hard and avoid procrastination, and I'd add that you should be prepared to review material and work ahead when necessary, especially with your Internal Assessments and Extended Essay to ensure you produce high-quality work. IB students tend to exaggerate the workload (I know I did), but that's usually because we procrastinate and really like the attention 😜. It's manageable if you have the proper time-management skills, and this doesn't mean giving up your hobbies! Rather, structure them around your work and apply them as CAS (Creativity, Activity, Service) credit - I'm not sure if you'll do CAS in pre-IB, but in IB you are required to do activities that fall under Creativity, Activity, and Service and record what you've done and how you've learned from them.

Back to your classes: keep in mind that your pre-IB course is to there to prepare you for and get used to the workload, too! Also, don't hesitate to ask your teachers if you are confused or want them to check over something - my Physics HL teacher was always willing to look over my labs before I submitted them to provide feedback (be mindful, though, that not all teachers are willing to dedicate too much of their spare time, or don't have much time to dedicate in the first place, but it never hurts to ask!). I'd also recommend you read ahead, especially since you can get your textbooks early (this is my assumption, forgive me if I'm wrong). Use the syllabus HEAVILY as your guide in every class because IB never goes beyond that information (if they do, those particular questions are stricken from the exam and will not be graded) - by structuring your studying, learning, and reviewing around the material in the syllabus, you don't waste time on extraneous material that won't show up in any of your exams. Also, I cannot stress this enough: DO PAST IB PAPERS!!! Ask your teachers for some or get some online - there are a few places you can access them. 

I could go on and on and on (I've read a lot of IB blogs and forums...), but I'll stop here. I hope this essay of a response has helped, and do let me know if there's anything else I can do to ease your fears about the International Baccalaureate program 😊 You've already proven your dedication to doing well by asking your question, and don't hesitate to continue doing so before and during the program. Good luck! (Though I'm sure you won't need it 😉)