Choosing Between Psychology vs Philosophy SL

FelixMiaMJ

Hi,

I was wondering if someone can give me some information on either psychology SL or philosophy SL. I posted on another board but didn't get any replies so please can someone help me with this and what is involved in these subjects? Are they hard, easy etc?

I need to give my final subject choices in and can' decide whether to go for SL psychology or philosophy. Please can someone tells me which is the easier option to get a high score in? My other choices are:-

Chemistry HL 

Biology HL 

Spanish HL

Maths SL 

English SL 

First of all, stop posting this topic all over the place, they're not separate 'boards', people see all of them at the same time. 

And with Group 3 subjects it tends to be that the one that's easiest to score high in is the one you have an actual interest in. Also the one that has a better teacher. I personally loved Psychology because I was interested in it, and I had an amazing teacher - and I ended up with a 7. Now, it's possible you could objectively say that maybe Philosophy is easier to score highly in, but I would have hated my life if I took Philosophy, because I've absolutely no interest in it. I hope you get what I'm saying - it depends solely on you. 

Psychology will require you to memorise a lot of psychological studies, and their dates, so if it's not something you want to do, then might not be a good choice. On the other hand, the Biological Level of Analysis bit in Psychology will tie in nicely with your Biology HL. 

Hi Gaby and thanks for your reply. Sorry for posting on several boards. I and new to this and wasn't sure if posts could just be seen within specific boards. The information that you have given me is useful. Don't know if I would enjoy Psychology having never done it before although it sounds interesting. Another one I was thinking about could be economics but have never done that before either so not sure how I would get on with this. It is a really difficult decision because this is my worst group of subjects, my best being sciences and Spanish obviously.

Economics, as far as I know, is regarded as the easiest of the three to score high in. None of those subjects requires any prior knowledge, though, so don't worry about not having studied them before. :) 

I'd recommend having a look at the syllabi for all those subjects (they're in the files section on this forum, or you can just google them and the IBO website should pop up), and see which one sparks your interest. :)

54 minutes ago, Gaby said:

Economics, as far as I know, is regarded as the easiest of the three to score high in. None of those subjects requires any prior knowledge, though, so don't worry about not having studied them before. :) 

I'd recommend having a look at the syllabi for all those subjects (they're in the files section on this forum, or you can just google them and the IBO website should pop up), and see which one sparks your interest. :)

Thanks Gaby. That's really useful to know. I heard somebody else say the same thing but wasn't sure if grade boundaries were lower because the subject is hard, which is why people were scoring more 7s. I heard someone give this same logic for the higher percentage of people getting 7s in HL physics as compared to HL Biology. Would be interested in your thoughts.