Help needed with English lit

Hi, I started the IB this year when I moved rob england and took English A, however the only one that our school offers is the literature. The problem is that I have never done any literature (in my native language or English) or literary analysis. For the works in translation this was ok and I managed to get by, however as we have started to analyse The Great Gatasby and Heart of Darkness I find myself completely lost. We were supposed to analyse a section of text paper 1 style however I don’t even know where to start or how to write it. I don’t really know any literary devices or what they to to the meaning to the text. 

Could anyone advise me on what to do, are there any helpfull websites or books that I could use to improve?

Hello Saguaro!

Don't worry too much. I used to face the same problem as you whereby I could not understand literature at all. To combat this problem, I started compiling a list of literary devices such as metaphors, imagery, diction and so on. Tip: Begin with the common literary devices found in most texts such as imagery and alliteration etc. Master these simpler devices then look further into those more complicated ones such as juxtaposition and enjambment (for poems). Analyse how these literary devices have an effect on the reader and its deeper meaning/ connotation. 

Hope this helps you a bit! :D