I can not take HL math. How will this affect college apps?

E.C-01

So, I completed my first round of planing for the diploma. I tried to take HL Math, my IB Coordinator said that I can't becasue I was not In the right level of math. Lets say I want to get into a pretty selective college/university. Also, I plan to take both the Math SL exam and the AP Calculus AB exam. Anyways, here are my subjects...

HIGHER LEVEL 

-Physics

-Biology

-History (my school requires it)

STANDARD LEVEL

-English A: Language & Literature

-Spanish B

-Mathematics

will taking math SL hurt my college apps given the classes listed above? Also, I will be taking HL Physics in 11th Grade (Like I'm going to be done with it) and may continue taking physics at a highly competitive college near me. Also, here is some info you need to keep In mind: 

>Took Algebra 1 in middle school

>Took Honors geometry 9th Grade

Now, my school allows you to be in Algebra 2 while in geometry, sadly I was not told this until it was too late. I can't take any classes over the summer due to my school's curriculum.

What could I do to get to HL Math?

~Thanks for advice :)

Edited by E.C-01

Guest evrlustngpeace

Though this is my first reply, I think I can help you because I had been in a similar situation when I was in grade 11, and I've recently applied to several US liberal arts colleges.

US universities which are highly competitive (like the Ivy League or top liberal arts colleges) consider the rigor of the courses that you have taken. This means that taking Math HL is "better" than taking SL when you want to get into a university.

BUT Math HL is demanding for many students. Even a student who can get a 7 on his Math SL exam may get a 3 or 4 on his HL exam (and even more demanding for Physics HL).

The things you need to do before you decide to take Math HL are:

1. Compare Math SL and HL syllabuses. Note that Math HL has additional core topics compared to Math SL (like complex numbers, mathematical induction, and statistics). Also, it requires an option topic (which may include advanced calculus or discrete math, based on your choice). Luckily, geometry is not so difficult in Math HL (it focuses more on algebra).

2. Ask your teacher to clarify why you cannot take Math HL. What do you mean by the "right level of math"? What are the factors for your school to determine that you are not eligible taking Math HL? Is it your previous math exam scores or anything else?

3. Ask yourself this question: "Do I have enough passion and motivation to study math independently?" You need to be aware that there will be more assignments and more independent work than the Math SL students.  If you are passionate, you can independently study at Khan Academy for free (I think Algebra 2 will cover most of the core topics) even you can't take classes in the summer.

Take more time to think about your subject choices. I think taking both Math HL and Physics HL will be a disaster for many students. It would not hurt you to take Math SL if you are willing to take Physics HL (or take Physics SL and Math HL). Other subjects that you've chosen look fine to me.

Edited by evrlustngpeace

Sorry, I was not very clear here. I am a sophomore at the moment.

I am in Algebra 2 right now.

Here is How the math path to HL Math is at my school:

Algebra 1 (8th Grade)

Honors Geometry/Algebra 2 (9th Grade).                <--  Was NOT Told I could do this until it was to late! :(

IB Mathematics Year 1/Precalculus (10th grade)

IB Mathematics Year 2 SL/AP calculus AB (11th Grade)

IB Mathematics Year 3 HL/AP calculus BC (12th Grade)

Now, Here's My math track:

Algebra 1 (8th Grade)

Honors Geometry (9th grade)

Algebra 2 (10th Grade, Present time)

IB Mathematics Year 1/Precalculus (11th Grade)

IB Mathematics Year 2 SL/AP calculus AB (12th Grade)

So, What should I do? PS: at the other IB school in my city, You take HL Math right out of algebra 2 and test in it senior year.

But do you actually want to study something that's related to maths and requires such a high level of it? Your post doesn't indicate it. Because if you don't, then I don't see the point of forcing yourself to do it and jumping through a lot of hoops to be allowed to take it if you don't actually need it for anything. It's a very difficult subject, and taking it just for the sake of having a rigorous schedule might not be the best choice. 

@E.C-01Thanks for the follow ups. I stand with idea of learning everything of precalc over summer on your own, and ask to somehow demonstrate your abilities.

With that said, not taking Math HL is not end of the world. Because when you take college physics, there will be significant amount of calculus in there (as opposed to just algebra-based Physics HL). You still have good chances in very elite schools if your GPA is superb: when students have all met minimum course requirements, a top unweighted GPA is still very valuable.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, E.C-01 said:

Since the progression through math classes at my school is stupid, I am curious to know what yours is like at your school.

I didnt go to high school in America and 9th and 10th grade we just had IB math and nonIB math. Although we had math every day in IB so we didnt have to learn pre calc in 10th grade.