Is Math Hl compulsory for engineering?

mortem_vita

This really depends on where you want to study, and what quality you want from the university you attend. In the UK all unis will require maths HL, and many of the top-tier universities elsewhere in the world are probably going to ask for maths HL for most types of engineering (you haven't specified exactly what type of engineering you want to pursue  - I know that electrical engineering uses a lot of complex numbers which is HL only). 

• Like 5

As Mac117 said it depends on where you want to study. For the US, I believe you can take Math SL as long as you do SAT Math Level II. However, do not that the content in an Engineering course is heavily mathematical meaning that Maths SL will not give you the preparation necessary to succeed in an Engineering degree and you'll most probably have to learn additional material. Thus, to make your life easier in the long-term i'd take Math HL. If you cannot cope with it, then perhaps you'll suffer with an engineering degree. I do not say this to discourage you but solely to ensure that you know what you are getting into. 

Best Regards, 

Djsporting

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mac117 said:

This really depends on where you want to study, and what quality you want from the university you attend. In the UK all unis will require maths HL, and many of the top-tier universities elsewhere in the world are probably going to ask for maths HL for most types of engineering (you haven't specified exactly what type of engineering you want to pursue  - I know that electrical engineering uses a lot of complex numbers which is HL only). 

I have done math HL until the end of IB1 and have completed most of the topics including Complex numbers. Will that also reflect on my resume and will universities be ready to take me in?

On 4/27/2017 at 7:08 AM, mortem_vita said:

I have done math HL until the end of IB1 and have completed most of the topics including Complex numbers. Will that also reflect on my resume and will universities be ready to take me in?

I thought you chose SL from the beginning? Is there a reason why you want to drop to SL? 

Unless you or your school state that you did maths HL and covered the relevant topics for an engineering degree, the universities will only see your exam scores which will have maths SL on them (then again, some ask for Year 1 report cards which might show HL maths was there). 

If you did HL maths and dropped, think about a justification for the unis you want to apply to - it might raise some concerns since an engineering degree involved a lot of mathematics.