HL Biology grades are decreasing! HELP

abelkoontz

I'm in my second year of IB and am currently getting straight 5's in bio. I don't even know what happened but last year I got one 4 and the rest were straight 6's. Even though I study, I simply just don't know whats going on. My predicted grade is really affected by this. I don't know what to do and my teacher is no help. 

You have to understand what is happening in the chapter before memorising it. If you don't understand something, ask a friend/teacher or even watch some videos. Then you can memorise the content. Mind-maps and flashcards are easy ways to do this. Also, do a lot of practice papers and papers from Question Bank. If you get a question wrong, look at the mark scheme and copy down the answer so you won't get it wrong again if a same/similar question appears.

39 minutes ago, Recycle Bin said:

You have to understand what is happening in the chapter before memorising it. If you don't understand something, ask a friend/teacher or even watch some videos. Then you can memorise the content. Mind-maps and flashcards are easy ways to do this. Also, do a lot of practice papers and papers from Question Bank. If you get a question wrong, look at the mark scheme and copy down the answer so you won't get it wrong again if a same/similar question appears.

Practice papers for Biology aren't as helpful as for Chemistry/Physics. It's really just about knowing your content as there isn't any required skills you have to hone in IB Biology, other than being organized in writing. And with the new syllabus, a good portion of questions from past papers have become obsolete. I'd argue you can get a solid 7 in a full IB Biology exam after having just practiced one set of all the papers, provided you have complete knowledge of the syllabus.

Really focus on consolidating your knowledge. Go through the syllabus to make sure you know all that you need to know. Ensure that your notes are solid enough that you can trust yourself to use them for your final exams. 

If you study but don't know what's going on, then the problem might be as Recycle Bin mentioned, that you're not understanding the content well enough. Follow her advice and ask your peers/teachers to explain the concepts to you. If you still have trouble understanding them, I can highly recommend i-biology.net as an extremely good source to understand and cover content in a relatively quicker amount of time. 

• Like 1