SL Biology or ESS?

HKbaby

I'm in Year 11 right now doing MYP and I need to make subject selections for DP soon. For my science subject I'm not interested in Chem or Physics, so it's between Bio or ESS for me.

I need to get a really high score in IB (43+) to get into the degree I want, so I need opinions on whether Bio or ESS is generally easier? Could you guys tell me a bit about the courses? Thank you <3 

Hi @HKbaby,

I can't really tell you which one would be easier for you as I don't know how you would find Biology or ESS. It also depends on what you want to study in university, but I'm guessing it's not scientific as you don't seem keen on choosing between any Group 4 :P Many of my friends take Biology and it's generally quite a good course from what I've heard. My school doesn't even offer ESS, so I had to go with Sports Exercise and Health Science... I hate it, haha. From a quick read of the IB page about it though, it specifically says "students will be able to study this course successfully with no specific previous knowledge of science or geography" so I assume it's quite easy and it may be very easy since most people tend to have previous scientific knowledge!

What I suggest is that you just have a read about them and see what you'd prefer.

http://www.ibo.org/programmes/diploma-programme/curriculum/sciences/environmental-systems-and-societies/

http://www.ibo.org/programmes/diploma-programme/curriculum/sciences/biology/

If you're stuck, you can ask your school's academic guidance counsellor for help, or your future IB coordinator. They'd be happy to discuss your aims and choices with you. Also remember that you can always switch courses next school year if you're unhappy in a subject.

Hope I helped a bit! Good luck in the IB, it's honestly not as bad as everyone says :D