Chemistry IA Formation of Topic

mtalon99

So I want to do an IA on organic chemistry, because it's really interesting to me! I have an idea of what I want to do, but I don't know how to make it "analytical" as my teacher has said? My idea is to figure out the reason why benzyl salicylate has an uncertain smell, and why it can only be smelled by some people. Should I do a survey with people from my school? Or dig deeper and try and discover the reason why some people can't smell it? Also I want to know if this idea is even feasible? Thank you.

I would not usually use surveys in chemistry IA since it does not allow you to discuss chemistry directly. Smell deals with how our body interacts with these chemicals to produce electrical signals that indicate pleasant or foul smell (biology, in short). I would recommend that in a topic of organic chemistry, you primarily deal with synthesis or characterization (eg solubility, melting point, color, odor etc) and not surveys. If you want to learn about how our noses detect benzyl salicylate, you can look for secondary data to supplement your primary data. 

Throwing some other ideas out there, you may also choose to do organic chemistry in conjunction/in context of equilibrium, rates/rate laws, acid/base, redox, enthalpy/thermodynamics, and physical/chemical properties.