Good TOK KQ and claims?

sodonewithib

Hey guys,

I'm presenting my TOK presentation soon, very nervous... my question is to experienced IB students or anyone who has done their presentation.

How do these sound?

My knowledge question is: To what extent is visual art an accurate portrayal of reality?

My claims are:

• Visual art tends to be more emotive
  • Visual art is subjective whereas reality is objective
  • If something has no meaning, is it still art?

Of course, I'll bring in TOK terms and discussions into these.

How do these sound so far? I'm quite bad at TOK so I really don't trust my judgements on what's alright and what's not.

Any other advice about the presentation is much appreciated!

Thank you!

TOK is a very subjective subject. My teacher is an examiner and she said we should always use TOK terms.

Our presentation title was "How does culture shape our perception"

So for your KQ, as an advice, I think you should change the word reality and put perception somewhere there. You also need to take into account that what you perceive as 'reality' might not be the same as someone else's reality.. (omg my brain hurts now lol I hate TOK)

KQ ideas;

• To what extent does visual art effect our perception (or shapes our perception) then your claims and counter claims can talk about accuracy or inaccuracy of this statement if you know what I mean.
  • How accurate is visual art in shaping our perception?

Don't take my word for granted, remember TOK is very subjective so ask your teacher. It is mainly internally marked so make sure you follow what he/she wants and then make your PPD Form sound perfect for the examiner who will see it.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, So Young said:

TOK is a very subjective subject. My teacher is an examiner and she said we should always use TOK terms.

Our presentation title was "How does culture shape our perception"

So for your KQ, as an advice, I think you should change the word reality and put perception somewhere there. You also need to take into account that what you perceive as 'reality' might not be the same as someone else's reality.. (omg my brain hurts now lol I hate TOK)

KQ ideas;

• To what extent does visual art effect our perception (or shapes our perception) then your claims and counter claims can talk about accuracy or inaccuracy of this statement if you know what I mean.
  • How accurate is visual art in shaping our perception?

Don't take my word for granted, remember TOK is very subjective so ask your teacher. It is mainly internally marked so make sure you follow what he/she wants and then make your PPD Form sound perfect for the examiner who will see it.

Thank you so much for the help! Yeah, that's the problem with preparing this presentation, I literally can't stand working on TOK for more than 30 min at a time, otherwise my brain just shuts down. 

You made a valid point saying realities are different between people. Do you think I could just say that in my presentation as a point? Just thought of a new KQ! Perhaps I could change my KQ to "To what extent do we perceive visual art the same as reality?", so I could still include the work I've done already, but still have a better question. Then my claims could be:

• Visual art depicts/expresses emotion
    • Counter claim: Art is subjective, some see emotion in artwork, some do not
    • Counter claim: Emotion is also existing in reality -> through language
  • Art is mainly based on personal knowledge, reality is shared
    • Depends on level of imagination and intuition of each person, some experience/interpret themselves, some don't

More will be added, of course. How does this sound? Is that more of a solid presentation?

I'll be meeting with my TOK teacher tomorrow so I'll ask him what he thinks of my KQ.

Edited by sodonewithib

On 11/1/2016 at 11:37 PM, sodonewithib said:

Thank you so much for the help! Yeah, that's the problem with preparing this presentation, I literally can't stand working on TOK for more than 30 min at a time, otherwise my brain just shuts down. 

You made a valid point saying realities are different between people. Do you think I could just say that in my presentation as a point? Just thought of a new KQ! Perhaps I could change my KQ to "To what extent do we perceive visual art the same as reality?", so I could still include the work I've done already, but still have a better question. Then my claims could be:

• Visual art depicts/expresses emotion
    • Counter claim: Art is subjective, some see emotion in artwork, some do not
    • Counter claim: Emotion is also existing in reality -> through language
  • Art is mainly based on personal knowledge, reality is shared
    • Depends on level of imagination and intuition of each person, some experience/interpret themselves, some don't

More will be added, of course. How does this sound? Is that more of a solid presentation?

I'll be meeting with my TOK teacher tomorrow so I'll ask him what he thinks of my KQ.

Cannot help you much because I completely hate TOK so I am not someone who is good at giving much advice towards this subject. However, I would like to point out that reality is not shared knowledge. Reality like we said previously, is perceived differently and has different meanings to every individual. So reality would still count as a personal knowledge obtained because reality is what an individual perceive the world to be. It could also mean shared knowledge in terms of things we consider within our reality such as knowledge we obtain from sciences (like biology for example, this will affect our knowledge of animals and how we perceive them and thus affect the way we see reality.) In terms of visual art I am not sure!

Your TOK teacher is your best friend here!