Chem HL IA concern

ahmed

hi

for my chem IA i am doing "the effect of salt on rate of which ice melts" and my personal engagement is my interest and curiosity about  why in colder countries, the distribute salt on icy road, so the story is i have asked the teacher about this idea and she said it was an "ok" experiment which i plan on changing the concentration of NaCl on different solutions and measure the rate of which the ice melts every 30 seconds for up to a minute.

the topics i would be covering would include stoichiometry, intermolecular forces and how NaCl disrupts the equilibrium...etc prior to the choosing of this experiment i have given her many ideas however she said "no because they where taken or someone else has that idea" so this idea came to my mind and i was surprised she said ok however i feel as if the idea is a bit straight forward, do you think this idea is too easy or is it fine and i should continue? ...because really its frustrating that every idea i come up with seems to be "taken"

• 2 weeks later...

It's a good topic. You need to be more careful in mixing rates and equilibrium and you should be delicate which one or both you want to focus on. In fact, you should do background research about how salt effect either equilibrium or rate of melting/condensing. Your research question should reflect any theory that you may find and be careful to not be "too trusting" of such theories and still be creative.