Biology IA on sweat

Vicky Palami

It was really hard for me to find a biology IA, specially because I really wanted it to be something that I´m interested in and passionate about. 

So finally I decided to choose something that is related to me in a way. 

I have Hyperhidrosis,  which is a medical condition in which a person sweats excessively and unpredictably. 

The idea for my IA is to see if there is a correlation between a person who has hyperhidrosis and a person who has cystic fibrosis.

What I´m planning to do is use a conductivity sensor to measure the electrical conductivity in sweat produced after performing a physical activity in a person with hyperhidrosis (me), in a person with anhidrosis (which is the contrary to hyperhidrosis, aka a person who almost never sweats), and a normal person, and see if any of the results (sodium and/or chloride concentrations) are related to those of a person who has cystic fibrosis. 

I wouldn´t perform the experiment on a person with cystic fibrosis, but I found some information about the concentration of chloride in a person to see if he or she has CF: 

Equal to or less than 39 mmol/L = CF is very unlikely
40 – 59 mmol/L = intermediate means that CF is possible
Greater than or equal to 60 mmol/L = CF is likely to be diagnosed

My teacher said the experiment seems fine, but I´d like to hear other opinions.

Also, I´m not sure if the conductivity sensor will be able to measure sweat, so do you think that I should go to a medical lab or hospital and ask for the materials used in a normal sweat test?