History IA Grading System

Rik

My history teacher just had a meeting. Apparently, IB has changed their grading system for the History Investigation. One History Investigation will be chosen by random per school. The score of the randomly picked paper will determine the score of the whole class. In short, everyone gets the same score. It doesn't matter if you deserve a 7; if IB picked a paper scoring 1, you get 1. IB will only be reading one paper per school.

My class has 26 history students. Honestly, the only solution I see is editing and checking all 26 papers myself. I'm not sure if this grading system only exists in my country. All I know is that this grading system is more than unfair for those who actually work hard. If my whole class was full of people with ambition, then I wouldn't have a problem. But the reality is: some are just lazy, rich and don't care,

The ideal environment IB tries to promote is an environment that cares for each other. This is the reason why they changed the grading system. However, how often do "ideals" actually become "real"?

@Erika Ng I don't know whether you've heard your teacher correctly or not, but if that was exactly what you were told, then it is a serious misinterpretation of how the IB actually does things. No, I'm sure that the IB does not aim to make everyone in the same class to have the same score. That is just absurd!!! You can read more details in this document here: IB moderation.pdf. Look under the section "changes to moderation of internal assessment" on the third page.

Here's a screenshot of what the moderation procedure (which is coined by the phrase "dynamic sampling") looks like:

Dynamic Sampling.png

• Like 4

I'm fairly certain it's as Vioh says - our school has told us the exact same thing. If the teacher's marked too harshly by x no. of points consistently across the chosen specimen's then everyone's grade goes up by x points or vice versa. To do otherwise would be completely unfair and an inaccurate assessment of the students' abilities.