Math HL Placement Test?!? (Urgent)

Andy K.

Okay, I am from BC Canada, and starting IB soon, and while I did sign up for math hl, I am required to write a placement test. My coordinator has emailed me saying that the test is based on Pre-Calculus 11. I couldn't find any useful content for prep or any information regarding this test online. I have simply been told to write one which I won't need a calculator for. 

If anyone has written a placement test for math hl, or know about it, please answer the following:

What is the format?  (Written/word problems etc.) How long is the test in terms of amount? (I have been told one hour, but it's still not clear to me?!?)

What happens if you do not meet their expectation? (aka fail:hisfault:)

Is there an alternative if you do not pass? (for example, drop math down to sl and raise one sl course up to hl)

Please and thank you IB community!!

Edited by Andy K.

Hey dude

I'm also from BC, and a Math HL placement exam sounds strange because I've never heard of it anywhere, so maybe that's why you are having trouble finding information or prep. Since you have your exams May 2017, shouldn't you have been enrolled in Math HL in your grade 11 year?

I guess schools do things differently. For us pre-calculus 11 was a pre-requisite for taking Math HL, so I guess study pre-calc 11....? 

I guess if you don't pass you go to SL. Bear in mind you need at least 3 HL courses to receive your diploma.

Good luck man, and if I may ask, what school do you go to?

• Like 1

Hey there, I'm actually going into grade 11, sorry I wasn't quite clear of the setting.

This "placement test", as strange as it sounds, is supposed to test our knowledge based on Pre Calc 11 like you said.

Yet, I am barely given any info, so I don't know what to expect (because apparently, I don't need a calculator!). I got 98% in reg pre calc 11 last year, so I should be fine right??

It's just that I don't know the succeeding procedures if I do not pass...

If you are currently enrolling Math HL, may I ask you if you took any test prior to your enrollment? Thanks!

98% on pre-clac 11 is really darn good. I'd say you have nothing to worry because I doubt there would be actual HL topics on the test. That would be simply unfair. I think this sounds like a diagnostics test to see where you will stand in HL and give the teacher a sense of your background knowledge. I don't even think the school can deny you entry of HL based on this test, but if you score too low they'll probably suggest you to go with SL.

I am in math HL, and there was no test prior to enrollment. Everyone in my class just did pre-calc 11 or something equivalent in their grade 10 year. 

Edited by Jaysun
  • Like 1