How long does it take to write the ToK presentation?

strawn

Pal,

I am going for my 2nd year and I have not even started my TOK presentation nor the EE, which will be a huge pain in the ass as I have a very peculiar topic. I am not gonna lie to you, I may not be the most guided and oriented person to advise you on the TOK presentation, since I don't have a clue on what it requires and what should be done. Nonetheless, I do "have a clue" on what it is like to feel the anxiety of having something important to be done in a short period of time. The angst may start to haunt you and corrode your thinking. It will also create imaginary and unreal scenarios on your head that seem so real that you won't even bother thinking the opposite, that is, that you re gonna make it.

The advice I give you is let this go, do not wait for more other comments as they may drag you down with incisive and scathing comments, predicting you can't. My friend, "enough" is a subjective concept as well as time. Einstein corroborates this ingeniously. It does not only apply to Physics, it applies to life itself (life is made of Physics, for Physics explains life). Sometimes, doing a work with 2 sober days is better than a whole semester if you do not take it serious and get cradled in by the immense time you have. All of this depends on you, on your head. I am not telling you that you should this for all works, quite the contrary. If you do take it serious, like I said, the fact that you have a lot of time will not interfere. Time isn't as powerful as we think it is...

Hence, the fact that you have scarce hours to do it, will not interfere wither if you do take it very seriously and try to dig in as deep as possible in the TOK presentation. It is key. Try to look for other works, tips, talk with people. The important is, more than simply studying the TOK prescribed book is to grasp the philosophy of the work, in this case, the presentation. If you do this, it will be easier for you to do it in time. Trust on your abilities, do it by yourself. If you do get to know its "modus operandi" then you will be able to do it swiftly and by yourself. 

You may think this is kind of a woolly thinking, but this has a bigger chance of helping you than those who will tell you that you are indeed screwed and to get prepared for a lower mark. Well, I tell you to keep a good mark in your mind, don't loose that thinking yet.

Sorry for the length of the message, tho I really tried to help you out, because I have been through it and still get through it a lot.

Richard      

• Like 1

2 hours ago, strawn said:

I have around 4 days, which includes a weekend, to finish my ToK presentation. Do you guys think that's enough or am I screwed?

If you have some sort of an idea for a topic, I'd say it's definitely enough, as long as you just go and start doing it. Plan your work, figure out how much research you need to do, and how long it will take you to put the presentation together. Schedule in some practice time as well. As long as you stay organised, there's no reason for you to not manage to do it in time. I don't think I spent that long on my presentation and I got maximum marks. 

• Like 1

In the past 2 days, I did 2 ToK summer essays, a 10-page math HL packet, all of my Physics SL Summer homework and my entire bio EE rough draft.

If I can do that with reasonable quality, I think you're fine.

Seriously though, I remember my mock ToK presentation taking about 4 hours to do. Make sure you have a solid question and a solid RLS, then the rest of the presentation pretty much writes itself.

• 2 weeks later...