History IA Research Question Help

Marinna20

Hello, so I'm not sure wether my research question seems interesting or if it's narrow enough, I really need help.

My question is,"In what ways was the 1953 Cuban revolution influenced militarily and ideologically by the 1917 Bolshevik Revolution?"

Should I change topics or try to be more specific? Any thoughts? 

5 hours ago, Marinna20 said:

Hello, so I'm not sure wether my research question seems interesting or if it's narrow enough, I really need help.

My question is,"In what ways was the 1953 Cuban revolution influenced militarily and ideologically by the 1917 Bolshevik Revolution?"

Should I change topics or try to be more specific? Any thoughts? 

I think that sounds like a very solid and unique topic :o It is definitely an excellent starting point. I would see how much information you can gather. If it turns out to be too much (since the history IA has a very tight word limit), I would focus on either military aspects only OR ideological aspects only. The only downfall to this RQ is that it can easily turn into a narrative IA. You have to make sure you are not just story telling the ways, but you are examining the perspectives behind the ways in which the 1953 Cuban revolution was influenced by the 1917 Bolshevik Revolution. 

• Like 1

Well, while I think doing a topic on how the cuban revolution was from the bolshevik revolution, there are two things that you need to work on:

1) The wording of your question. You need to change the verb influenced to another one because of how ambiguous it is. What do you mean by influence. I had that word in my topic and my teacher said the same thing to me.

2)You should put it in a "To What Extent" sentence because it allows you more wiggle room. Make sure you question is not a simple yes or no question. Make it a topic where both sides can be debated and you are just debating one side.