Roman Civil War

CalissaRelics

The Gallic Wars were fought between the Romans (lead by Caesar) and the Gallic tribes indigenous to France, Germany, Belgium, and parts of Britain. Because the Gallic tribes would often harass and raid Roman border towns and cities, Caesar portrayed this invasion as a defensive action incited by the Gallic tribes. Rome has been wary against the fierce Gallic tribes for some time now, ever since Rome was almost conquered about 50 years prior, only to be saved by Gaius Marius and many bloody & costly battles. The Gallics also attacked several key Roman allies, and as they moved closer to the border, Rome feared its inaction will result in a Gallic invasion. Therefore, Caesar fought this war to gain popular opinion in Rome (by conquering vast swaths of land and extending the Roman Empire to the Rhine River while defending the integrity of the empire by defeating "savages") and to boost his own political career on the way to becoming emperor.  

I assume by the Civil war you mean specifically Caesar's Civil War. This was the illegal action by Caesar. The Rubicon river was the division between the northern provinces and Italy proper, the heart of the empire. By the law of imperium, no army-leading general may enter Italy proper while leading an army. When Caesar deliberately broke this law by crossing the river with one legion (Legio XIII Gemina), it was a clear provocation of war, and one that the Senate was forced to fight due to Roman Law. It's also widely accepted that Caesar said his famous line: Alea iacta est (The die is cast), meaning that he has made his intentions clear and has decided on a path with no return. Caesar also crossed the Rubicon with a legion because of his feud with Pompey and the Senate, since Pompey has accused Caesar of insubordination and treason and Caesar will undoubtedly be persecuted the moment he returned to Italy.

Hope that helps. I didn't take history (because I'm too lazy to do all the homework) but I'm fascinated by it, and I'm pretty sure the facts are correct :)

• Like 1

Thanks so much. The points are really clear and that helps clear my confusion!!!! (Finally..) But even that what benefit would he have got by doing that war. (ok yeah he was assassinated after anyways...) I mean even if he won , he would still have the same threats anyways?

Haha you are right, I took History SL but still the home work is too much. :beccacalc:

Edited by CalissaRelics

"That war" aka Caesar's Civil War was fought mainly between Caesar and Pompey. In 59 BC, the first triumvirate (basically a three-man head of government) was formed by Pompey, Caesar and Crassus. This triumvirate ended in 52 BC, when the Roman Senate announced its support for Pompey as the sole consul of Rome at a time when Caesar was militarily powerful and loved by the people. Politically fearful, the Roman Senate ordered Caesar to disband his army, thus handing control to Pompey. Caesar was not about to submit, so he refused, and Pompey and the Senate declared him an enemy of the people and a criminal. No longer able to enter Rome with the immunity of a consul, Caesar crossed the Rubicon with a legion as an act of war.

The war was basically fought to solidify Caesar as the sole leader of Rome, and in doing so he eliminated all his old threats (Pompey and his sons). He was named Dictator Perpetuo (Dictator in perpetuity), which did not agree with some people in the senate (the people who assassinated Caesar) who still supported a Roman Republic. He accomplished his goal, but I guess it didn't eliminate all his threats. His adopted heir Octavian would go on to kill the assassins and form the Second Triumvirate, and later reorganize the senate and become Caesar Augustus, first emperor of the Roman Empire.

Quite a fascinating part of history. Hope it's all clear now! :)

Edited by Jaysun
  • Like 1

Yes!! Thanks so much! You jusssst summarized the entire scenario in 2 paragraphs that I have been so confused about before. It is really fascinating and you can keep reading these things for hours! 

Thanks and good luck for the exams (:mike::mike:) within 9 months! 

Edited by CalissaRelics