Chemistry IA - possible topic

Daksh

Basically, when fingerprints are deposited in the crime scene, they have lots of oils and amino acids deposited on them. All these substances are polar. So that means they will respond to microwav.

Many crime scenes are exposed to heat, because of gunshots, explosions or arson related incidents. In my IA, I will analyse the fingerprint before it has been exposed to heat and also after it has been exposed to heat. Then, I will see the difference in the fingerprint investigation due to thermal exposure. Results will be useful in forensic investigations.

My RQ, therefore, will be - “Do the fingerprint residual amino acids alter in structure upon thermal exposure, causing a different fingerprint ridge pattern?”

Please share your opinions on whether this is a viable topic and RQ. My main apprehension is that this may be out of the syllabus, which I feel will cost me marks. Pls let me know if i can go ahead with this topic so I can start researching which amino acids I can take to experiment.

• Like 1

Hi Daksh,

I would imagine your question will need to change quite a lot from this. Any decent amount of thermal exposure such as explosions or fire will certainly combust any oils or amino acids. The structural changes of amino acids in the fingerprints I don't see as having any significance. Importantly what are you expecting? Have you done your research to see what has been found to date. That is where you need to continue the journey. I strongly suggest if you first research as much as you can. This will give you the place you need to investigate and help with methods. Don't worry about being off syllabus. IB likes it as long as it is above the syllabus and it will enviably include the syllabus.

I have a myriad of advice and support on this page: http://mrweng.weebly.com/ib-chemistry-internal-assessment.html

Best of luck.

Mr Weng.

As much as polar compounds are a part of chemistry, dielectric heating is at the heart physics. To talk more chemistry, try incorporate more chemistry concepts or applications into this. For example, you can discuss explanations of how the amino acids are impacted, as opposed to simply observing that there is change/no change. 

• Like 2

On 27 July 2016 at 8:05 PM, kw0573 said:

As much as polar compounds are a part of chemistry, dielectric heating is at the heart physics. To talk more chemistry, try incorporate more chemistry concepts or applications into this. For example, you can discuss explanations of how the amino acids are impacted, as opposed to simply observing that there is change/no change. 

Yes I will include that in my inferences. Thanks a lot!

On 27 July 2016 at 2:40 PM, mrwengchemistry said:

Hi Daksh,

I would imagine your question will need to change quite a lot from this. Any decent amount of thermal exposure such as explosions or fire will certainly combust any oils or amino acids. The structural changes of amino acids in the fingerprints I don't see as having any significance. Importantly what are you expecting? Have you done your research to see what has been found to date. That is where you need to continue the journey. I strongly suggest if you first research as much as you can. This will give you the place you need to investigate and help with methods. Don't worry about being off syllabus. IB likes it as long as it is above the syllabus and it will enviably include the syllabus.

I have a myriad of advice and support on this page: http://mrweng.weebly.com/ib-chemistry-internal-assessment.html

Best of luck.

Mr Weng.

Thanks for the detailed feedback. I dont ahve a concrete hypothesis as of now as my research is preliminary

Thank you
Regards

On 27 July 2016 at 2:40 PM, mrwengchemistry said:

Hi Daksh,

Best of luck.

Mr Weng.

Do you think I can apply your IA advice for my Bio IA and EE?

Thanks