IA

allthebest

As the syllabus changed, the IA criteria also changed.

My teacher focuses on the personal engagement and says that it should be actual usefulness in daily life, not just doing chemical experiments. 

It is really difficult for me to connect, therefore coming up with a topic is stressful.

Is it true that the IA should be connected to us personally?

Thanks

Edited by allthebest

Guest SNJERIN

IT doesn't  really have to be useful. I mean you are not expected to produce something very unique or has many applications in real life. Besides, the personal engagement criterion is only 2 points, and I promise you that you would get at least 1 point in this criterion even if you are not engaged with the topic you chose. For example, my IA was simply about determining the activation energy of a reaction, so probably not much application to it, right ? 

Whats important to note is that you shouldn't find something too complicated. Stick with the syllabus content!! 

PS: if you haven't, I encourage you to go to files and download my Chem IA. It should help you to some extent! 

Good luck! 

4 minutes ago, Haitham Wahid said:

IT doesn't  really have to be useful. I mean you are not expected to produce something very unique or has many applications in real life. Besides, the personal engagement criterion is only 2 points, and I promise you that you would get at least 1 point in this criterion even if you are not engaged with the topic you chose. For example, my IA was simply about determining the activation energy of a reaction, so probably not much application to it, right ? 

Whats important to note is that you shouldn't find something too complicated. Stick with the syllabus content!! 

PS: if you haven't, I encourage you to go to files and download my Chem IA. It should help you to some extent! 

Good luck! 

thanks for you reply, I'll check your IA 

Personal engagement is to be understood as establishing some personal input to your claims. That is, you should present your claims not matter-of-fact, but justify your steps. In Chemistry, it's often enough to explain the importance of your investigation, justify your procedure/collection methods, and reflect upon your results. The criterion says to demonstrate interest and independent thinking, which can be shown by doing more than appearing to have copied the procedure from the internet and blindly following it.