Chemistry Extended Essay Help

wookie2187

Hi, I'm doing my extended essay on Chemistry and what I'm worried about is my research question. I've changed it several times already and I can't seem to find what I like. Currently, I'm investigating catalysis but I don't think my extended essay has much scope in real life.How much of the extended essay depends on the research question,does the essay have to have real world applications and where can I find new research questions?  Thanks so much

Quite a lot of questions are packed into this.
1) "Can't seem to find what you like". While it's good if you enjoy your topic, you don't really need any particular interest, just that it can provide enough content.
2)  "How much of the EE depends on the research question?" If your research question (RQ) does not allow for in depth analysis, then you won't be able to demonstrate your understanding and application. A really good RQ is awarded very little merit, while a bad RQ is indirectly punished severely.

3) "Does the essay have to have real world applications". Not necessarily. Usually if you talk too much about real world applications, you are likely to go off topic. If you found some important applications, discuss them in the introduction or conclusion.

4) "Where can I find new research questions?" "New" RQs are not necessary: the EE is not result-oriented, but process-oriented. That means your research process and investigative thinking are what's primarily assessed, rather than how groundbreaking your research is. Having others suggest you an RQ thus defeats the purpose of experimenting with original thoughts/approaches/interests.