About grading

JeongwooP

I've never seen an assessment out of 8 before. I don't even know what you consider an 'assessment' to be. I never had one. I'm guessing this depends on your school though since tests and quizzes don't have to be made by IB. There are other assignments called IAs, but they vary in markscheme.

Final grades are on a scale of 7, with 7 being the best. Each course has specific requirements in order to get a Level 7. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JeongwooP said:

Presentations and tests are out of 8. However, final grades come out as scores of 7. Why? 

This is a decision made by your school, not IB. Final grades are always out of 7, but schools can choose a different scale for tests and assignments because IB doesn't make the tests. For tests at my school, we were given a percentage grade instead of a level out of 7. The school chose to use a percent grade, just like how your school chose to use a scale of 8

Is it possible that you're in the MYP program (or Pre-IB as some schools call it) for grades 9 and 10? The MYP scale is from 1-8 whereas the DP scale will almost always be from 1-7. Ask your teachers for clarification if that's not it, it may just be how your school runs the program.