Extended Essay in Physics

Harry Yoon

If I am writing my Extended Essay in Physics, about waves and diffraction, does it necessarily have to contain something very complex, or beyond syllabus to score high grades?

Or is it possible to score high grade with only in scope of SL/HL syllabus?

Thanks

I think it would be a good idea to go slightly beyond the syllabus but only as far as you are comfortable explaining. If you have no idea about more advanced physics and are not comfortable explaining them then don't include them. You should study the criteria for EE carefully on how to maximize scoring, and communication is just as a big of a component as knowledge. 

I did my extended essay in physics. Though I'm still about to complete my IB exams. But what I found was, stick to the criteria and see what do they actually require and ask for. You don't really have to discover something new or present which is very complex, but references and presence of contents in essay which are out of syllabus are appreciated. Also, experimentation can help you cover few of the criteria, though do it only if necessary and aimed for.