Getting ahead for Maths HL

asd.987

Guys, I am considering taking Maths HL next year, and I was wondering If It would actually be useful to try get ahead during the summer.

So do you guys think watching khan academy videos (and doing the exercises) and/or looking over the syllabus would help? Or of course not just khan academy, maybe other sites too. Have you got any other tips/advice on how I could get a little headstart and familiarize myself with the course?

Thanks.

Guest SNJERIN

If you really are considering doing some of the HL math during the summer (which I think is a brilliant idea) then the best way is to get yourself a math HL textbook. Reading the book is much more efficient than watching youtube videos. I would recommend you buy the Cambridge one because it has plenty of exercises and is good at explaining stuff. 

16 hours ago, Haitham Wahid said:

If you really are considering doing some of the HL math during the summer (which I think is a brilliant idea) then the best way is to get yourself a math HL textbook. Reading the book is much more efficient than watching youtube videos. I would recommend you buy the Cambridge one because it has plenty of exercises and is good at explaining stuff. 

Thanks for the reply! I actually think that I saw a Maths HL textbook lying around in my boarding house the other day - ironically enough, no one in my boarding house takes it... But it wasn't a cambridge one, I think it was something like Haese Mathematics and it was absolutely massive. Also, If I were to look for a cambridge one anyway, do they just sell them at bookstores? Oh yeah, and If I were using a different textbook than those of my classmates, wouldn't there be an issue (I would need two books then I guess). Not that it's a big deal though, just that my mum is slightly concerned about the price, if you know what I mean.

5 hours ago, asd.987 said:

Thanks for the reply! I actually think that I saw a Maths HL textbook lying around in my boarding house the other day - ironically enough, no one in my boarding house takes it... But it wasn't a cambridge one, I think it was something like Haese Mathematics and it was absolutely massive. Also, If I were to look for a cambridge one anyway, do they just sell them at bookstores? Oh yeah, and If I were using a different textbook than those of my classmates, wouldn't there be an issue (I would need two books then I guess). Not that it's a big deal though, just that my mum is slightly concerned about the price, if you know what I mean.

Hi there, I personally recommend Haese Mathematics textbook because I've worked with both the Haese and Cambridge textbooks. Haese has a system like guiding and explaining about maths and then followed by exercises with some applications to real life examples to let you understand better. Cambridge do have a lot of exercises but during my first and second semester of using that book, my teacher and I found several mistakes in which he reported them to the publisher. After that, we switched to Haese. I personally like the way Haese structured their contents but I don't see that Cambridge is that bad. I still recommend Haese :')

• Like 1

Starting ahead is definitely a really good idea for maths hl. I agree about getting a book like Haese but keep in mind that even though it explains concepts well its exercises are way easier than IB past papers. So you can start with it and then move on to more difficult stuff (past papers).