Is the initial velocity 0 for this situation?

Andrew

In this video squirtle is falling in free fall up to second 12, when he starts using hydro-pump and propels itself up. If I want to calculate the kinematics for this, do I assume he is going up from a still position? Or in which ways can I found out what velocity that would be? 
Also, when at 0:15 he reaches a maximum point and remains in equilibrium for certain time, the only way for this to happen is if he stops accelerating and all forces balance out, but if he suddenly reduced the intensity of his hydro-pump at the maximum point, he would keep momentum and go up a little bit still, thus not reaching a maximum point in the first place. The only answer is that he doesn't reduce the intensity suddenly, but slowly on the way up, so that by that point it balances.

Edited by Andrew

If I want to calculate the kinematics for this, do I assume he is going up from a still position?

While standing on the ground his initial vertical velocity is zero.

Also, when at 0:15 he reaches a maximum point and remains in equilibrium for certain time

It seems to me that he is falling down at this point, not reaching a maximum.

7 hours ago, bsimps3 said:

While standing on the ground his initial vertical velocity is zero.

It seems to me that he is falling down at this point, not reaching a maximum.

It's more like 0:16 when he is reaching the maximum. 

As for the first want, I meant not when he propels itself off the ground, more like when he is falling toward sea and activates his water propellers at  0:12

Thank you! 

• kw0573 locked this topic