What's the WL Essay all about? (I graduate 2016)

Andrew

I started the IB before the change that came first examinations 2013. And in my new school, the teacher is too insecure to give any worthy advice on HOW to write the essay, because she has kept receiving low graded essays and invoices from the IB about the low performance because her teaching focus is extremely technical. Sometimes I feel like I need to write a legal contract rather that a paper on artistic appreciation, in order to get good notes with her. 

However, my main question is if it's ok to give my essay a creative tittle, like "between the midnight sun and the polar nights", for an essay on "Sult" from Knut Hamsun. Or do I need to explicitly state what I am analyzing? (That would be the philosophical implications of objects and their symbolical relevance for the conflict of the character) Or can I just go on analyzing stuff as clearly and orderly as possible and hope they get it? It's just that that would mean basically rewriting my essay, and the official Greenwich IB deadline is on Tuesday and I would basically not sleep and would enter a state of utter panic. 

2nd, my teacher this year decided to take a bold approach for the essays this year, asking us to write on a "social topic" about the culture of the country. So I have made sure I mash in a bit of everything, formalist analysis with the symbols, mood, tone and themes. Context of interpretation with the sociohistorical stuff and personal response, with the artistry in the way of writing and the title. 

So, what's the actual hack for this specific essay? 

4 hours ago, Andrew said:

I started the IB before the change that came first examinations 2013. And in my new school, the teacher is too insecure to give any worthy advice on HOW to write the essay, because she has kept receiving low graded essays and invoices from the IB about the low performance because her teaching focus is extremely technical. Sometimes I feel like I need to write a legal contract rather that a paper on artistic appreciation, in order to get good notes with her. 

However, my main question is if it's ok to give my essay a creative tittle, like "between the midnight sun and the polar nights", for an essay on "Sult" from Knut Hamsun. Or do I need to explicitly state what I am analyzing? (That would be the philosophical implications of objects and their symbolical relevance for the conflict of the character) Or can I just go on analyzing stuff as clearly and orderly as possible and hope they get it? It's just that that would mean basically rewriting my essay, and the official Greenwich IB deadline is on Tuesday and I would basically not sleep and would enter a state of utter panic. 

2nd, my teacher this year decided to take a bold approach for the essays this year, asking us to write on a "social topic" about the culture of the country. So I have made sure I mash in a bit of everything, formalist analysis with the symbols, mood, tone and themes. Context of interpretation with the sociohistorical stuff and personal response, with the artistry in the way of writing and the title. 

So, what's the actual hack for this specific essay? 

For IB, they don't want an essay that has a lot of fluff in it (they want you to be concise and also it's only a 1200-1500 word paper so you should ensure that your paper is mainly focused on analysis) and the paper should be technique oriented. The title of your essay has to be exactly the topic you will be discussing, so I would stray away from a creative title. In the end, it is not what she thinks that matters. It is what IB thinks. Be as clear as possible in your communication. Yes the paper could be about culture but don't make it a historical paper :P It's supposed to be a literary paper, so you pick a technique and focus on that technique and the effects it has on the meaning of the piece. It's good to have context of interpretation but don't let it be your whole paper. It's all about technique. I am not sure about adding a personal response part though :P I think that would belong in your reflective statement. 

Hope I helped a bit :D 

• Like 1

• kw0573 locked this topic