HL CHEMISTRY MOCKS 2016

Noticeably Absent

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hey! We haven't done specimen paper for mock exam but some past paper from 2012 and 2014. We did specimen in the class and I found it pretty hard comparing to other papers... There were new type of questions covering analytical techniques and also long one about ozone. There is basically no comparison to the past papers (no choice of exercises in section B and also there were no questions from redox processes -electrolytic and voltaic cells). What do you guys think about it? Was it demanding for you as well?

• Like 1

Guest SNJERIN

We found it extremely hard as well. One part of a question that is worth four marks in previous exams is now worth 2 points (or even 1) for some reason. There was not a single question about periodicity, kinetics, electrochemical cells etc in Chem SL. I am not sure if it was worth spending so much time on these topics. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Specimen paper is just a design for how all the exams would likely look like for the new syllabus right?

Not only were the questions there greedy as hell with the marks, but the Formal Charge questions & Q. 6 d) (ii) was extremely difficult. 

On May 1, 2016 at 0:01 PM, IB`ez said:

Specimen paper is just a design for how all the exams would likely look like for the new syllabus right?

Not only were the questions there greedy as hell with the marks, but the Formal Charge questions & Q. 6 d) (ii) was extremely difficult. 

The IB have a habit of making their exams very difficult but then setting the grade boundries quite low. Usually above 80% in the exams will get you a 7. 

Here's a video on formal charge that may help:

Bonding in oxygen and ozone:

Edited by Msj Chem

1 hour ago, Msj Chem said:

The IB have a habit of making their exams very difficult but then setting the grade boundries quite low. Usually above 80% in the exams will get you a 7. 

Here's a video on formal charge that may help:

Bonding in oxygen and ozone:

Ahh, that sounds much more hopeful. 

I've done some more studying on Atomic Bonding (with regards to the new syllabus now as I realized the sources I were using were far too outdated) and looking through that lengthy Ozone question again, all but the last question are extremely doable and not so difficult anymore -- seems like being very meticulous & careful is more important than ever to gain those precious few marks. 

Also those videos were awesome; I'll be sure to bookmark your website for further reference in my Chemistry revision. You're an amazing person for spending time & effort making those videos to help students.

Thanks a lot! 

• Like 1