Starting IB Program After Summer Break

iiimee

Hello guys! I am fifteen, and from the US. I applied to a high school that's not my home school, and what do ya know? I got accepted! This is all really exciting, but what's even more exciting is that I applied to one of the school's "magnet" programs- the IB program. When I applied, I had a basic idea of what it was about- I'd be taking classes that are nearly all college-level, and it'd be the same standards that kids all around the world would be dealing with too. I felt extremely lucky to get accepted, especially when I learned my two friends- who also applied- didn't make it.

But my backstory aside, I am looking for advice on how to "survive" the IB program. I know the basics: Find friends. Do your work first. Don't waste time but don't burn yourself out. Things like that are easy to understand. Many students not in the IB program get that sort of advice, though probably not to the level IB kids get it, I'm sure. What I want is more specific advice, like how to balance my CAS... It's called CAS right? Creative-something-Service? I think I was told I would have to do that. Once again, I have to remind you guys that I only know the basics of the program. I'm going to something in March that'll teach me more about it, but besides what I learn there, I don't really have any resources to tell me what to expect. I am really nervous about what classes I should take. Mathematics is definitely not my strong suit, but I have an interest in plenty of subjects that require at least basic Math! X_X Anyway... If you guys have any guides I could read, or any personal advice you'd like to share, feel free to help me out! I can't wait to start my journey as an IB program student! ^_^

Do not worry if maths is not your strong suit. There are 3 levels of maths and maths studies is the level for weak maths students or students who do not need maths in the future. Ib is not hard if you chose subjects you are interested in because that will motivate you to study and do your work.

Honestly, it's not as difficult as people claim it to be (not that it is necessarily easy). So if you have a genuine will to score highly, your results won't be disappointing. 

As for CAS, there aren't explicit requirements that you have to meet (although you do have to pass for a diploma). Find activities that you are interested in and can have fun. If they don't exist, make your own. CAS really isn't meant to pull you down in any way, so try to enjoy it.

As someone who is starting IB in August of 2016 I can tell you that you shouldn't worry that much.

I am not sure about your education system (I went through/am taking IGCSE) but mine prepared me pretty well for the beginning of IB.

Since it's going to be a new school (which sounds kinda competitive) you should, as you said, find some friends. Maybe they won't be your BFFs straight away and some of them might be distant because of the stress that comes with IB, but it's important to maintain a healthy relationship with most of your classmates (not always possible, but worth a try). Remember that some people might turn against you and/or not talk to you - don't let that discourage you from working hard and getting towards your goal.

I'm not sure what subjects you're considering for IB, so it's hard for others who take the diploma to help you (though if you were taking 2HL sciences and maths then it's obviously going to be tougher than a language B and group 3 subjects at HL. It's not obviously a rule as each one does to their own, but sciences and maths are considered hardest IB subjects). Try to stay on schedule and you'll be fine.

Now, one important thing. I think I say it every time but it affects so many of (IB) students that I can't stress this enough. When you struggle with a subject TALK to someone. Teacher, principal, classmates - reach for help so you can succeed. It's the same with stress. You shouldn't keep the anxiety inside you because it'll build up and explode at one point causing a lot of mess. You can always ask for a deadline extension - after all we are all just human and we fall sometimes.

I think the students starting in 2015 onwards don't have to have a certain amount of CAS hours anymore but they have to complete certain "goals" - not exactly sure how it works so many someone else could help here ;)

For maths all I can advise is practice. Sit a few times a week for an hour and practice. Ask your teacher for a book or buy one and sit down with it. Maths is a rather logical subject so when you get the whole idea of it then the applying the knowledge should be easy.

If you want to talk about anyhing just PM me :)

I'm not sure what subjects you're considering for IB, so it's hard for others who take the diploma to help you (though if you were taking 2HL sciences and maths then it's obviously going to be tougher than a language B and group 3 subjects at HL. It's not obviously a rule as each one does to their own, but sciences and maths are considered hardest IB subjects). Try to stay on schedule and you'll be fine.

Okay, this part here is the reason people who have not yet started the IB shouldn't give advice about the IB.

If you take a language B you're not very good in (studied your whole life, speak it with relatives, native language), it's not easy to achieve a 7, sometimes even with good language skills, but bad attention or functional reading skills it can be difficult. And to say group 3 subjects at HL aren't difficult is b.s. Psychology HL has 3.5% of students getting a 7. History has a very low percentage as well. You need to have very good synthesis skills, as well as very good time management, for you need to spend about 6 hours in each writing essays. Of course sciences are difficult, but can you stop this 'humanities are inferior' crap. Yes, the HL Math-Physics-Chem combo is the killer combo, but by no means would language B-Psych-History be easier for someone who's not good at essay writing but has a good grasp of sciences. I was taught 80% of the SL Physics syllabus in middle school. I really don't want to offend you, especially seeing you're new and fresh and young and want to help and all, but spreading ignorance is not a good thing.

For the OP: Don't worry about CAS, it's basically monitored extracurriculars (creativity, action (sport mostly), service (volunteering)). Generally, don't worry about the IB yet, you'll have the opportunity to do that in the two years. If you struggle with Math and are able to push yourself, you can look at what the IB expects for you to have learned (just google 'IB Math Studies/SL/HL study guide', according to which you'll take) and go over that. And start working from the beginning -- the work will really pile up later if you procrastinate. Choose subjects according to (1) you interests (2) your future plans (3) the quality of teachers and worry about the 'difficulty' last -- e.g. I know I'm probably not getting a 7 in HL History for I would be the first in my school to do so, but I'd never trade it for an easy 7 in my native language, I enjoy it far too much. :) Good luck!

• Like 3

Okay, this part here is the reason people who have not yet started the IB shouldn't give advice about the IB.

If you take a language B you're not very good in (studied your whole life, speak it with relatives, native language), it's not easy to achieve a 7, sometimes even with good language skills, but bad attention or functional reading skills it can be difficult. And to say group 3 subjects at HL aren't difficult is b.s. Psychology HL has 3.5% of students getting a 7. History has a very low percentage as well. You need to have very good synthesis skills, as well as very good time management, for you need to spend about 6 hours in each writing essays. Of course sciences are difficult, but can you stop this 'humanities are inferior' crap. Yes, the HL Math-Physics-Chem combo is the killer combo, but by no means would language B-Psych-History be easier for someone who's not good at essay writing but has a good grasp of sciences. I was taught 80% of the SL Physics syllabus in middle school. I really don't want to offend you, especially seeing you're new and fresh and young and want to help and all, but spreading ignorance is not a good thing.

For the OP: Don't worry about CAS, it's basically monitored extracurriculars (creativity, action (sport mostly), service (volunteering)). Generally, don't worry about the IB yet, you'll have the opportunity to do that in the two years. If you struggle with Math and are able to push yourself, you can look at what the IB expects for you to have learned (just google 'IB Math Studies/SL/HL study guide', according to which you'll take) and go over that. And start working from the beginning -- the work will really pile up later if you procrastinate. Choose subjects according to (1) you interests (2) your future plans (3) the quality of teachers and worry about the 'difficulty' last -- e.g. I know I'm probably not getting a 7 in HL History for I would be the first in my school to do so, but I'd never trade it for an easy 7 in my native language, I enjoy it far too much. :) Good luck!

I'm really sorry, I didn't mean to come across as ignorant! :| What I guess I forgot to say is that each person has different strengths and some mind find maths HL easier than for example Economics HL. Personally, essay-based subjects are the most difficult for me and sciences are easier since they don't require as much writing and structure in long answers.

Really didn't want to make humanities seem inferior in my statement, since I do respect every subject. Heck, I applaud everyone who takes art or music in my school since I'm absolute trash in both of them! And the language B was a biased answer from my side since in my school everyone takes German as their B language, when 95% of us are more-or-less fluent, making it significantly easier when compared with a person who just started learning the language. I have to give you the point here :)

I think the point I'd like to add is that every person has different strengths so yes, for some Maths-Chem-Phys is easier than English-His-Psych. Most of us choose our strengths as HLs so we might find the concepts easier to grasp in some situations.

Hope I cleared some of my previous statements up. And I'll stop because I went a bit off-topic.

Cheers :)

Thank you all  for these wonderful responses! The thing about CAS seems especially helpful, but really it only makes me more nervous. I am not the sporty type, so I don't know what could help me in the "action" section other than sports... Would I need to just try, or does winning count? :/

I won't know what classes I'll be taking 'til I actually go I guess, but may I ask what you writing people decided to take? I am going to a thing that will introduce me to all of the IB programs glory in about a month. Oh, and what were some mistakes you all made? Like, should I beware of any rookie mistakes? Do you guys think a binder with folders in it would be easier, or a bunch of separate folders? I am guessing separate folders, only because schools in this area will sometimes give you folders you're unable to put in a binder and expect you to keep them, and since binders slant this can be an issue when carrying your things... How much do you guys carry usually? Should I get something to hold all of my folders in at least, even if it's not a binder? Gawd, I'm so nervous! X_X Writing IS my strong suit, but I don't know where I should draw the limit with it. I like pushing myself, but is writing really easy to get "burned out" in? What I mean by that is if I take the most difficult writing courses possible, will I find myself overwhelmed? Also, the IB program is a four-year program right? If it is, why are things like the IB tests marked at two years. Do you need to take two IB tests, or is it something where they give you a few years to pass it? You'll have to forgive me; I have a lot of questions.

CAS really depends on your school, but you can usually get away with walking 30 minutes twice a week for Action throughout. You just need to 'get sweaty' (actual quote from my school's IB coordinator, so you don't need to do actual sports, just exercise. Ever tried yoga? Technically, meditation is a part of yoga, so I wrote that in my CAS diary and got away with literally lying on a mat and trying not to think too much for one whole month. CAS isn't graded either, you just need to complete it.

Rookie tips, hm? Microsoft OneNote is really useful. I discovered it a few weeks ago, but it's already saved my life. Not sure what you mean by binders and folders exactly, in my school it's not organised on a school level, everyone just does what they like. Just keep your stuff organised somehow. You'll find what fits you once you start anyway. Keep to your EE and IA deadlines and be nice to your teachers, they can save your life. I was all set on the path to Literature/English/Creative Writing before this year, and I just chose subjects that were interesting and English as HLs. Essay-based subjects (Group 3) and languages (Groups 1 and 2) will give you most opportunity to write.

Also, IB DP is two years (so junior and senior year in the US). Are you starting DP or MYP or pre-IB? Anyway you'll find out lots more at your IB introductory thing, don't worry too much before that. In the end of the two years, you have exams (either in May or November -- e.g. if you start in August/September, you finish in May the next year) and your grades will only count throughout the two years if you need predicted grades or a GPA for universities. A few months after exams you receive results which are marked out of 45 points. 

If you have any other questions or if I did a bad job at explaining, you can always ask me (also via PM). :)

• Like 1