Chemistry IA

David3283

Hello!

So I've been faced with a dilemma on my IA and I've spent a good amount of time trying to figure it out but I can't seem to do it. So my IA is on buffering capacity but I can't really find any examples on how to calculate for buffering capacity. I know there are equations out there but every time I visit new websites, new equations pop up on how to calculate for buffering capacity and it just confused me even more. If someone could point me in the right direction of how to calculate the buffering capacity of a solution when you have the moles of the strong acid being added and it changes by 1 pH (not sure if I need anything else), that would be really helpful.

If people don't feel like reading that above, I'll just summarize it and get to the point below.

- need help on finding the equation to use to calculate buffering capacity//be shown in the right direction & if possible an example

Hii,

I don't know about any equation, but you can still compare the capacity with the values you have. I'm assuming that you have the number of moles required to change the pH by 1. The higher the number of moles, the higher the buffer capacity. I don't think you need an actual value to justify which solution has a higher buffer capacity. Hope this helped! If you need any other help with the IA, you can refer to this post. :)