How is Vitamin C (ascorbic acid - weak acid) water-soluble?

inshm2016

I have read a lot that Vitamin C is very soluble in water. But how is that possible if it is a weak acid? Shouldn't it only partially dissociate in water?

The thing is, I carried out a titration to determine concentration of Vitamin C. Theoretical value was 0.06 moldm^-3 while my experimental was 0.05. Could an error be that ascorbic acid does not fully dissociate into water?

dissolving = breaking intermolecular bonds (in this case, hydrogen bonding, van der waals forces)
dissociate / acid behaviour = breaking intramolecular bonds (bonds inside a molecule itself, in this case one of the OH bonds).

To calculate theoretical values for your lab, you need the Ka (or pKa) for vitamin C.

dissolving = breaking intermolecular bonds (in this case, hydrogen bonding, van der waals forces)

dissociate / acid behaviour = breaking intramolecular bonds (bonds inside a molecule itself, in this case one of the OH bonds).

To calculate theoretical values for your lab, you need the Ka (or pKa) for vitamin C.

What I did was add a specific mass of ascorbic acid powder to 500 ml of water. I calculated the concentration by finding the amount of moles of ascorbic acid and dividing by 0.5 dm^3. And this was my theoretical concentration. I then calculated the experimental and this was less.

This has nothing to do with dissociation, right?

Yes the pKa has no effect on volume of base needed, but it does affect the pH. 
If everything is calibrated / measured very accurately and precisely, there shouldn't be a >10% difference in concentration. 

Edited by kw0573