Astrophysics in real life?

Fire-Explosion

I am wondering, where, when and how do we apply astrophysics in real life?

Google will give you this: https://www.iau.org/public/themes/astronomy_in_everyday_life/

Try to read to the very end as it has lots of good materials. I'd also like to add one more thing to the article, which is that the study of astrophysics helps us understand solar storms and their effects on Earth.

• 1 month later...

There are quite a few concepts that are useful in the astrophysics option. Knowing them will facilitate understanding certain ideas  in other areas of physics.

For example, Wien's law  gives the relationship between peak wavelength emitted by a black body and its temperature. your body is at 37C, so you actually are emitting Infra Red light (examples of applications: night goggles, animals hunting at night like snakes see this radiation...).

To my grand disappointment, in the new program, they removed one of the main cornerstones of physics: Thermodynamics. Astrophysics does give you a glimpse of it (applied to celestial body.)  

The concept of intensity (W/m2) is heavily used in astrophysics and is essential in acoustics, medical physics, waves, environmental sciences etc...

Understanding star spectras is a great introduction to spectral analysis (atomic physics, chemistry)

Besides, it's also super interesting :-)!

Edited by Physics Tutor
  • Like 1