Need help understanding this for my Chemistry HL IA

Abubla

Hi my chemistry IA is due tomorrow morning (around 10ish hours) My IA is related to Activation energy and Arrhenius' Equation:

lnk = -(Ea/RT) +lnA

So in this richard thornley video about the Ea of glow sticks:https://youtu.be/b41fRjI6kuQ?t=1m28s

he sets the y-axis as the natural log of illumination, can someone explain how or why he is able to do this? and why this works out? because I just can't seem to be able to identify the link as to why ln k is the same as ln of illumination!

Thanks

I think it has something to do luminenscence is proportional to concentration of the reactants.  

I looked in to it and I can't really find anything like this explicitly stated anywhere :/ 

times like these really make me wonder why I took chem HL haha

I think this is a question for a chemistry teacher... My advice, as a fellow HL Chem student, just do it the way he does, and either don't mention why you made this link or completely bull**** your way around it. If you do it well, your teacher probably won't notice... Good luck!

hahahahha yeah, I tried that but sadly my teacher noticed :( which is why i'm trying to fix this but if I can't find any answers I'm just going to leave it at:

by taking the natural log of both sides of the arrhenius equation we can relate it to y=mx+c (y corresponding to ln k and hence ln lux as its on the y-axis of the graph)

thanks tho :)

• Like 1