Are those things enough for Oxford?

vitiu

Hi People,

I am in half of my Year 1 and well, I want to get ready for the PS and all the other stuff regarding application. I want to apply for Biological Sciences at Oxford (and of course other unis but that's for other time).

My problem is that I am afraid, whether I have enough things to put in my PS and I am also concerned about their quality.

So maybe a short-list:

- taking part in international neurobiological competition (but yet no achievement as the big part stars in April)

- took part (and will again) in palaeontological excavation with the team of my national Academy of Sciences.

- ecological studies of birds in my region (that may result in published paper [rather science-communicating than scientific])

- a lot of reading of famous biological books (Wonderful Life, The Greatest Show on Earth) and a lot of insights about them (exchanged for example with an acquittance that actually studies at Oxford).

- since childhood I was keeping exotic animals (snakes, spiders, lizards) and well, I have quite a good knowledge of them in terms of science regarding them and also (I think) it shows my passion for living organisms.

and also minor parts like big interest in science, with ambitious readings, keeping up to date with research etc.

Also the non-biological ones:

- I plan to make EE in Geography (the environmental way), to show that I am not bound to just one field, but still the other field is somehow related.

- I am a leader of social project for promoting UN Sustainable Development Goals in my town.

- well, my CAS that shows me as a good lecturer (in short)

- a lot of organizing things for my year like e.g. school trips.

And I want to use IB Programme also as the proof that I am well organized and to show my assiduity.

Of course I am also a good scorer and my teachers expect me to have 40+/45.

What do you think, are these things solid (of course I will add something new anyway, those are my hobbies in fact so there's always some progress I can't predict)?

Edited by vitiu
  • Like 1

That's  more than enough, you might not even fit it all in your PS. Oxford (and universities in the UK in general) are not as EC-crazy as their US counterparts. If you have a good overall application, fulfil all their criteria, do well on the admission tests (if there are any), you always stand a chance. However, bear in mind that Oxford is a bit of a lottery, always, and even someone with a 45 predicted and strong ECs might get rejected cause they fail to show real engagement with the subject. 

• Like 1