Question about equipotential lines (fields)?

thecsstudent

For a while I have had some questions on how equipotential lines work in fields. I understand that all points on the line have the same potential and that the lines are at right angles to the field lines but what I don't understand is why: 
1) When a field is not uniform and the mass/charge is spherical why are the lines more close to one another the closer to the mass charge we are and then become more and more spaced out? Theoretically, shouldn't there be infinite equipotential lines for every possible distance from the mass/charge? 
2) Also why when there are two masses close to one another the equipotential lines sort of merge and end up becoming the same the farther away we move from the masses?

Thanks in advance.

We often use analogy of topographic maps when looking at equipotential lines. Consecutive rings of contour differ by the same elevation. If the contour lines are close, the change in altitude is great. Here if the equipotential lines are close, than the change in field strength is also great.

You should provide some diagram. For example the field produced by 2 positive charge will be difference from 1 positive 1 negative.

• Like 2