Ch. 7.1 Equilibrium help?

Elc

7.1 (Equilibrium)

Application: determination of the relationship between different equilibrium constants (Kc) for the same reaction at the same temperature.

I do not quite get this learning objective. I thought there is only one equilibrium constant (Kc) for the same reaction at the same temperature?

What does it mean by relationship between "different equilibrium constants"? What does it want me to know?

Edited by Elca

Hey, I read up on this and from what's given in the 2 textbooks that I referred to, this basically means that the value of Kc is different at different points in the reaction. It would be lower than expected if the reaction is incomplete and if its almost complete, it's be higher.

For example, it takes 5 minutes for the reaction to reach the equilibrium point. You know the initial concentration of the reactants; you then somehow manage to measure concentrations of reactants as well as products after 2 minutes. Putting these values in the equation, you'll still get a Kc, but this value will be lower than the constant because there are more reactants and less products, comparatively (basically the reaction is still incomplete).

I hope that makes it clearer. :)

• Like 1

I initially thought that too, but equilibrium constant, Kc, is the ratio of [product] to [reactant] at equilibrium; everything before that would refers to reaction quotient (Q).

The relationship between Q and Kwill tell us the position of equilibrium and the extent it is "complete"; as in, reached equilibrium.

Just for clarification, one of the other learning objectives is:

(7.1 Equilibrium; understandings) The reaction quotient (Q) measures the relative amount of products and reactants present during a reaction at a particular point in time. Q is the equilibrium expression with non-equilibrium concentrations. The position of the equilibrium changes with changes in concentration, pressure, and temperature.

So I think the learning objective I mentioned refers to a different thing, which..uh..I have no idea of. 

The reaction quotient Q is what Sandy refers to. 

As you said, Kc is specified for a reaction at a specified temperature. Different temperature, different Kc. Temperature is the only factor that changes Kc. Whether an increase in temperature increases or decreases Kc depends on whether the reaction is exothermic or endothermic.

Yep, got that, that is covered under the last learning objective (Application of Le Châtelier’s principle to predict the qualitative effects of changes of temperature, pressure and concentration on the position of equilibrium and on the value of the equilibrium constant.)

Still, though, I don't think that is what it is referring to as the objective specifically states:

Application: determination of the relationship between different equilibrium constants (Kc) for the same reaction at the same temperature.

Edited by Elca

The reaction quotient Q is what Sandy refers to. 

As you said, Kc is specified for a reaction at a specified temperature. Different temperature, different Kc. Temperature is the only factor that changes Kc. Whether an increase in temperature increases or decreases Kc depends on whether the reaction is exothermic or endothermic.

Yep, got that, that is covered under the last learning objective (Application of Le Châtelier’s principle to predict the qualitative effects of changes of temperature, pressure and concentration on the position of equilibrium and on the value of the equilibrium constant.)

Still, though, I don't think that is what it is referring to as the objective specifically states:

If you're still unclear, maybe reading the textbooks will help a bit? Which ones do you use? I have oxford and pearson, and both of them explain it well. Maybe you'll understand that better (I mean, they are better at explaining things than me, lol)- refer to ch 7