Question about Case Study Method in Qualitative Research HL

Can it be claimed that experimental trials can be used as part of the research method in an organizational case study??

The Pearson Psychology textbook says this is fine, but I've heard that in previous years marks were deducted from Paper 3 responses that referred to the experimental method as a valid component of the case study method.

Edited by Guest

How can you use trials in the case study method? A case study usually is of an unusual case that can not be ethically replicated, so I don't think it's possible to use experimental trials at all, because you won't have enough people to take trials that fall under the same category/case.

According to the Pearson textbook, when conducting an organizational case study of numerous employees that work for an organization, it is valid to use experimental trials. When there is an organizational problem, such as absenteeism, it is possible to conduct interviews of the employees and identify feasible organizational changes (e.g. implementation of flexitime systems). These changes can then be applied to a treatment group, but not to a control group, to see if the changes will eliminate absences.

So, I'm mainly referring to case studies performed on groups of individuals, rather than one individual with a unique case.

Edited by Guest