Would Ancient Greek Mythology be Religious Knowledge, Indigenous Knowledge, or History?

ButterPanda888

If you're talking about Greek gods/goddesses I think they would fall under Religious Knowledge/ Indigenous knowledge.

As for epics about battles, I would hesitate to classify them as history. My reason for that would be that it is very likely that if the battles even occurred, the events must have been grossly exaggerated. So perhaps I would call it Indigenous Knowledge,

• Like 1

Personally, I think Greek mythology is part of literature (which belongs to the Arts). The main reason is because nobody believes in it anymore, and most of us read/study Greek mythology as a form of literature.

Of course, it can fall under the religious/indigenous knowledge system as well, but I don't think we can classify it as part of history (unless we can prove whether any battle events in the mythology actually took place in the past).

It is a myth so it can not be history but it can be Religious Knowledge and Indigenous Knowledge

​in a way people in the past believed in this myth which now we know is a fact

know that's history...... ^_^ 

:dash:

I know hehe

sorry.......

Edited by Guest

Personally, I think Greek mythology is part of literature (which belongs to the Arts). The main reason is because nobody believes in it anymore, and most of us read/study Greek mythology as a form of literature.

Of course, it can fall under the religious/indigenous knowledge system as well, but I don't think we can classify it as part of history (unless we can prove whether any battle events in the mythology actually took place in the past).

Definitely not true - people still follow 'Hellenic paganism'.

Also, there's still debate about whether some battles, such as the Trojan war happened - some historians do believe it actually occurred, just without the mythological elements. 

Edited by Guest

I think it could be looked at from many areas of knowledge. It could be considered in religious knowledge systems because, well, Gods! It could fall under indigenous knowledge system as it originated from Greece and mainly talks about the Greek culture. Historical aspect can be the wars and other things happening at the time. It could also be looked at from science perspective as the greek sought reasons for the observations that they made (AOK natural science). It would be considered art if you take into account the paintings, sculptures, texts (including the religious ones) as it is a form of art. So it really depends what aspect of greek mythology you're looking at to classify which AOK it would fall under. If taken the term generally, there will be some link or other to all AOKs.