Theme of Unrequited Love in The Great Gatsby

Hello everyone!

I'm going through the process of revising my analytical written task for English A Language and Literature HL. I decided to do it on The Great Gatsby and focus on how and why the New York elite is represented in a particular way.

I used a five-paragraph structure, but without a three-part thesis statement in the introduction (which is generally advised by my teacher). I wanted to show personal engagement in the task by demonstrating knowledge and understanding of the novel and providing my own interpretations. However, I didn't get the mark I expected.

In the essay, I tried to make a point about how Jay Gatsby's unrequited love for Daisy exposes the elite members as hollow from a moral and romantic perspective. Gatsby's life seems to revolve around what would capture Daisy's love, but, once Gatsby is found to be scandalously implicated in Myrtle's death, Daisy immediately becomes evasive in their relationship. Daisy doesn't seem to appreciate, understand even, the essence of Gatsby's love. The East Egg lifestyle deprived her of romance and moral conscience.

Do you think these are appropriate reflections for a valid analysis? Are they off the mark, maybe?

Any help and comments on my approach will be greatly appreciated!!

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...

Your analysis does seem valid but it is also that Gatsby's unrequited love exposes the moral hollowness of the elite members because even though Daisy does not love him for who he is, she lets him believe that she does and lets him take the blame for her killing Myrtle. She only takes advantage of his feelings to benefit herself.