Australia

Mohamed Abdelkader

Uh....what? Be a bit more specific, pal.

He means Higher school certificate. Basically the "basic" diploma you get from an average Australian high school ;)

I might be biased, but I would say go for IB. I have an Australian friend and he went through Australian education system and hated it. I remember he told me something about the field position, which is important for uni application, and how others' results can affect your field position and therefore your chances of getting into university (I am not sure whether it's correct though, so please correct me if it's otherwise).

IB allows you to expand your horizons and pushes you to your limits. High school diplomas are hard, but they're not as demanding and not as rigorous as the IB program. IB allows you to become a global thinker, and shows you perspectives from all around the world - something a high school diploma usually is unable to offer.

What you should do is the list of pros and cons for each and see which one would suit YOU best. After all we are all individuals and each does to their own.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Uh....what? Be a bit more specific, pal.

He means Higher school certificate. Basically the "basic" diploma you get from an average Australian high school ;)

I might be biased, but I would say go for IB. I have an Australian friend and he went through Australian education system and hated it. I remember he told me something about the field position, which is important for uni application, and how others' results can affect your field position and therefore your chances of getting into university (I am not sure whether it's correct though, so please correct me if it's otherwise).

IB allows you to expand your horizons and pushes you to your limits. High school diplomas are hard, but they're not as demanding and not as rigorous as the IB program. IB allows you to become a global thinker, and shows you perspectives from all around the world - something a high school diploma usually is unable to offer.

What you should do is the list of pros and cons for each and see which one would suit YOU best. After all we are all individuals and each does to their own.

Good luck.

Thanks I've been having a hard time to decide but the thing about the class affecting your results is true, iys supposed to promote teamwork or something. But thanks again.

Hey there, it depends on what you want to do at university and where you want to study.

I chose IB over SACE, and whilst I love the IB diploma don't get me wrong, I sometimes regret my decision. The thing is that your ATAR is fluid if you do the IB program, and the conversions differ from state to state. What gets me 98 in SA might only get me 96 in NSW/ACT. Considering the HSCs, to get 99.95 you need  like 4 merits in your subjects (I think, if it's similar to SACE), whereas in IB in NSW/ACT you need 45 which is 6 merits in all your subjects + 3 for TOK/EE. It's much easier to get 99.95 in HSC than it is in IB and as a consequence this has messed me up for university.

On the other hand, IB better prepares you for university as opposed to the Australian curriculum, and I've found it to be at a higher level. If you're applying to universities like ANU, they have an IB early entry scheme where they accept you based on your predicted marks rather than your ATAR, so I've already been accepted into a course despite having not received my results yet! I think this puts me at an advantage compared with my other friends who are still waiting for the university main round offers (it's a safety net in my opinion). Depending on your HLs, you also cover some of the first year university material (particularly with HL maths) which also puts you at an advantage, having been exposed to the content prior to your university course.

At the end of the day it's your opinion, and you have to weigh up the advantages and disadvantages of the IB diploma, and decide if it's worth doing for your benefit. I think it's a wonderful program and I'm hoping that by the time you're in Year 12, the ATAR conversions may be more uniform across the country. I think it's worth giving IB a go, because with most schools if you don't like it, it's easy enough to move to the state curriculum. I've found that my organisation skills have improved tenfold after doing the IB program, and trust me, most teachers thought I was a lost cause before ;)

I hope I helped a bit, and feel free to message me if you need help/support with anything! :)

Edited by El :3