IOP HELP!

Nutella_lover

I have my IOP in exactly a week and I need some advise on how to go about it. I have chosen the graphic novel De Tales I will be picking the first two stories and focusing and analysing on the images/symbols and what they really mean. How should i go about it, can someone please guide me 

Ok so first off, have an introduction to set the stage for your presentation. Maybe talk about the context/themes in general and have a thesis statement in there that you can link back to throughout your presentation. For me, I did treat it kind of like a commentary. If you're talking about two stories, I assume it'd be a compare/contrast? If it is, find aspects that each text shares and discuss it in relation to one another; do not talk about the works separately or you will score very low on your IOP because it will sound incoherent. 

I've found a couple of sources which may help:

https://ibenglishbrown.wordpress.com/2011/05/12/iop-tips/

http://www.hollyziemer.com/ib-individual-oral-presentations-iops.html

I agree with what ShootingStar16 said about integrating both stories into the same analytical idea - treating them as separate entities is a big nono! To go about it? Make a massive table with similarities/differences/interesting points between the two texts in terms of symbols/ideas etc. Make connections, see what aspects are present/different in both works. You want to consider the author's treatment of these devices and their effects on the works as a whole (maybe even unifying ideas between the two texts?)

I wish you the best of luck with your IOP! :)

• Like 1

Okay so lets say i take specific symbols from both the stories and talk about the symbols does that make sense? And an introduction about the 2 short graphic stories i choose? 

Yes, if you analyze examples you pull from your stories, it will work. If you compare and contrast similarities and differences between your two stories, that will make your presentation extremely strong. Make sure you appear confident and knowledgeable.

Edited by Jerry