Subjects for University?

oddslat

I have recently chosen my subjects for DP but I still have no idea what to do in University. I would really appreciate it if you could help me suggest some subject options/career paths based on the DP options i've chosen.

Here are my DP options:

HL Geography

HL English Lit

HL Chemistry

SL Mandarin B

SL Maths

SL Economics

Thanks! :)

You can do economics ( but for UK you mostly need HL maths for eco), you can study law with these subjects as English and geography will go well. You could even go into international relations. I would recommend switching between hl chemistry with economics becaue just chem at hl hanging there without bio or maths at hl will not help you and it will just be horror. Chem sl is way more manageable .

There are tens, if not hundreds, of degrees you could do. It's literally impossible to list them all, and you should also do your own research. We could help more if you told us what you're interested in. If you don't, people will just be throwing random suggestions at you, which is a very weird way of choosing your degree

• Like 1

I can tell you that with those choices you can't go into Medicine at most unis (ESPECIALLY in the UK, where they seriously require two Math/Science subjects at HL - I know because I got rejected for taking Chem SL instead of HL).

I agree with what Kartikeya is saying up there for the most part, though.

HOWEVER, if you're looking at decent universities in say, the USA and Canada, I think your options are still super wide and you could even potentially go into sciences at some.

HOWEVER, if you're looking at decent universities in say, the USA and Canada, I think your options are still super wide and you could even potentially go into sciences at some.

I just wanted to add that a number of universities in Canada require either Physics or Biology in addition to Chemistry for entry to Sciences programs.

OP, you should pick your subjects according to what you want to do in University, not the other way around. I'd suggest you to talk to a career counselor at your school if you have one or even some teachers for ideas for various careers.

Enjoy! 

Edited by Rosalina
  • Like 1

I just wanted to add that a number of universities in Canada require either Physics or Biology in addition to Chemistry for entry to Sciences programs.

OP, you should pick your subjects according to what you want to do in University, not the other way around. I'd suggest you to talk to a career counselor at your school if you have one or even some teachers for ideas for various careers.

Enjoy! 

Definitely agreed! I'm applying to UBC, U of T, and McGill into a biochemistry programme and they're definitely stressing the need for Bio/Phys/Chemistry at HL and another at at least SL.

If you don't know what you're going to do in uni (like me when I started the IB), I'd suggest taking a more science-oriented route as most Humanities programmes don't stress on your HL/SL courses - and taking English Lit HL is more than enough to cover an essay-oriented subject.

You should choose a faculty that you know you'll be interested in. Most of your HL's would be good for the Arts faculty, but Chem HL is also very science-geared. Particularly, English HL is very good for going into the humanities into university because it preps you for essays and such.