Difference between predicted- and actual grades? (university applications)

FreddyTaco

The way I understand it, the predicted grade is given by your subject teacher based on test, essay, presentation etc. performances throughout the two years, and it's basically what they think you'll get on your exam. Actual grades on the other hand, are the grades you got on your exam and internal/external assessments? What I don't understand though, is which one of these is used when applying to universities? I've been told that predicted grades are used if you go directly on to university after the IB, while actual grades are used if you take a gap year. Is this true?

I think it depends on what country you're in. In Australia, the universities only care about actual grades, but I think in other countries universities prefer predicted grades. I'm not sure how it would work with a gap year though, sorry, but I'd assume they'd look at your actual grades or something. I hope I helped a bit! :)

• Like 1

Are predicted scores what you'll get on exams or what they think your final score will be?

Predicted scores are what your teachers think you'll get in the exams. Hence the name predicted. They can vary slightly/quite a lot/stay the same. I was predicted 43 and ended up with 39. 

In the US, universities will look at everything you give them (GPA, SATs/ACTs, ECs, essays, letters of recommendation, predicted IB scores etc) and accept you based on that. Unless your grades plummet in the meantime, you're in. 

In the UK, you send universities your application with predicted grades (if you haven't taken the exams yet, of course), and based on that, they give you a conditional offer, which will basically go something like, e.g. "if you get 36 points, with 566 at HL, at least a 6 in HL English and no grade lower than 5, you're in". Then, you need to achieve those grades in your final exams. If you do, you're in.