DoE for Universities?

alexalexalex

Heyy, so my school offers the Dukes of Edinburgh award (DoE).

I didn't do the bronze award last year but have now decided to join for the silver award.

Apparently they've changed the rules this year so they're wayyy stricter, that plus that I don't have anyone to be in a team with has got me to consider not doing it.

My goal is to get into one of the top Unis in the UK.

Atm i am getting rly good grades (6s and 7s), obviously it takes more than just good grades to get into Unis as Oxbridge. I would still be doing the physical, volunteering and skill as I would have for DoE it's just the meetings (that we'll be having supeerrr often) and that I don't have any friends doing it just demotivates me so much.

Does DoE award make a huge difference when applying to Uni? Is it worth it?

Thank you,

Alex

No. It's not that important any more. Simply saying 'I did DofE' won't impress any one because so many people do it (and a decent number of people get to gold too).

I liked DofE for what it was but I wouldn't do it purely because I want to bolster my application because 1) there isn't much space to talk about it on the PS 2) it'd be difficult to complete if you hate everything there is to hate about it. 

If you'll still be doing volunteering and other stuff, then you can talk about that in a relevant way to the course you're applying to. But just doing DofE for the PS is a lot of work for a very small pay out. My DofE mention was pretty much 'I did DofE and learned how to work in a team.' 

• Like 1

Well, its how you want to see it if its important. It's more or less a personal development journey for you because it lets you exploit your treats, hobbies and desirable activities. For example: I am a massive fan of programming and have build a business which organizes events for DofE, until I finish I'll keep it non-profit and then start generating a small revenue out of DofE.

It will help you with university and college applications in addition with other non-curricular activities you've done. Because DofE is not enough, try other activities such as Student Council (Government), starting your own Workshop/After School Club.

Something which will make you stand out from the others on your application.

Thats my advice  :) I wish you the best of luck ;)