Life science majors indecision

NiCKEL

I've been researching, choosing, re-researching and choosing again but I just can't decide on what to major in. I know you can switch later and some places have a general first year (although most make you choose since IB DP). For now, I'm 90% I want to try for med school, but there's always the chance that I fail, or also I might follow my other interest of doing research (which I may also fail), or even further, but more unlikely, business/management sort of thing.

So right now I really can't decide my path, but I've narrowed it down and I'm wondering if any of these are unrealistic because I don't know much about job availability

- Undergrad in business/management with minor/electives in science so I meet the med. reqs (caveat: no chance of research)

- Undergrad in business/management with combined major in science, which is rare (caveat: hard to find this program)

- Undergrad in science, with minor in business, which leads to various majors I don't know about:

Tl;dr version: Is there any way to fit my interests, in increasing order

[finance/business < programming/technology < genetic modifications < drugs/disease/med] into a 7-9 year time span and keep as many job types open as possible??

• 2 weeks later...

If I am understanding your question correctly, you're looking for the opportunity to pursue a business related educated, but do life sciences on a track that gives you the option of going to med school, but also leaves other options open? The only program I can think of off of the top of my head that combines something like this is the Roy and Diana Vagelos Program in Life Sciences and Management. It's a program that's done through the University of Pennsylvania and it's business school, Wharton, where you take classes in business and a life science of your choosing, and graduate in four years with a Bachelors of Science in both economics and the science that you chose. Afterwards, what you decide to do is up to you. Medical school in the US is 4 years and to get in you have to take the MCAT as well as have some sort of experience in the medical field (shadowing doctors, interning, etc.) in order to get into the top medical schools in the US. UPenn also has it's own med school, and from what I've heard it's significantly easier to get into UPenn medical school as a UPenn student if you have the credentials, than as someone applying from a different school. (http://lsm.upenn.edu/) <--- UPenn and Wharton are really selective, and this program is also super-selective as well, but if it's what you're looking for and you can afford tuition at UPenn then there's no harm in applying. 

By the way, I think the deadline to apply to UPenn as well as the program is January 5th

Edited by _joseph