How to balance redox equ. if the overall contains water?

NiCKEL

for a reaction like X + Y + H2O ---> A + B what would the half equations be? How is the water factored in?

EDIT:

Also for AB + HC ---> AC + C + B  where compound AB is copper and sulphur, and compound AC is copper (II) nitrate so it needs both reactants...how do I separate this into a half equation?

I can see that C will come from HC like HC ---> C and B will come from AB like AB ---> B but I don't know how to do these weird combinations

Edited by NiCKEL

For balancing by half equations, you should still find the oxidation numbers, unless you are given the coefficients. 

There are no "weird" balancing once you get the oxidation numbers right. Sometimes a species is both oxidized and reduced, but they are still not weird.

CuS + HNO----> Cu(NO3)+ S (or S8)

Is that the right equation? copper and sulfur both look oxidized.

EDIT: you shouldn't generalize types of oxidation numbers using AB + HC or the like, you just have to know that if the oxidation number goes up, it is oxidized and releases electron(s), and if the oxidation number goes down it is reduced and "absorbs" or "takes in" electron(s).
It's easier to do with a specific example.

Edited by kw0573

For balancing by half equations, you should still find the oxidation numbers, unless you are given the coefficients. 

There are no "weird" balancing once you get the oxidation numbers right. Sometimes a species is both oxidized and reduced, but they are still not weird.

CuS + HNO----> Cu(NO3)+ S (or S8)

Is that the right equation? copper and sulfur both look oxidized.

EDIT: you shouldn't generalize types of oxidation numbers using AB + HC or the like, you just have to know that if the oxidation number goes up, it is oxidized and releases electron(s), and if the oxidation number goes down it is reduced and "absorbs" or "takes in" electron(s).

It's easier to do with a specific example.

Sorry I thought generalizing would make it easier but now that I re-read it I shouldn't have done that. Basically can you help me with this equation:

CuS + HNO3 ---> Cu(NO3)2 + NO2 + SO2

The answer key is: 

CuS + 8 HNO3 ---> Cu(NO3)+ 6 NO2 + SO2 + 4 H2O

I'm really bad at writing half equations when it's not clearly 2 reactants 2 products