Switching to psych from economics

Anahita

I had originally picked Psychology SL as my Group 3 subject during the Pre-IB year but everybody told me Economics was easier, more useful in the future, and went better with the rest of my subjects so I switched last minute. I thought I'd eventually learn to like it but honestly I just hate it more and more, and I feel like psychology is more of my type of subject. I want to switch Econ SL to Psych SL.

My current subjects are:

Math HL

Physics HL

Chem HL

Swedish B HL

English Lit SL

Economics SL

Is Psychology SL a smart subject to take if my other subjects are quite demanding?

Would it be hard to catch up if I've been in Economics SL since August?

And would taking Psych limit me in the future when applying to university?

Psychology wouldn't limit your choices in any way, as SL subjects matter quite little to universities. I personally took Psychology HL and it was my absolutely favourite subject (I ended up with a 7, too), with a lot of interesting material. The only part I didn't really enjoy was the sociocultural level of analysis, but mostly because I didn't find the studies in this part very convincing in their methodology. 

In my opinion, depending on what you want to study, of course, Psychology can be quite useful in future study. I am studying Business Studies at university now and one of my subjects, Organisational Behaviour, draws quite heavily on psychology. I'll also have HR management and consumer behaviour, and I am sure psychology will play the part in those too. 

And at SL, you have a bit less material and the IA is slightly easier (unless they changed something recently). 

I'd say go for psych, especially if you hate economics. 

• Like 1