Which universities accept 15-year-old students?

Veo

I am a non-EU citizen and will graduate at the age of 15.

I am having a hard time finding bachelor's degrees that accept young students. Considering that admission criteria will be met, what are some universities (with reasonable rankings) (or countries) that accept students at an early age (preferably with affordable tuition or available scholarship)?

I can manage to study in English, French and some Spanish.

P.S. I am neither US- nor EU-based.

GPA 3.6/4.0, Rank 10%. IELTS and SAT taken, scores not received.

There are no community colleges in my country.

Edited by Veo

What are you wishing to study? 

I am fairly sure that courses that require you to work in a laboratory/with children/with people in general, might be off bounds, as you are not yet legally able to take responsibility for your actions and it's unlikely that universities will be willing to do so, cause it'd cost them too much in insurance. 

Your best bet is to contact them directly and explain your situation. They might be able to put you on some individual track programme, but I'm not sure you'd really like that, as it could be quite isolating. 

• Like 1

I am fairly sure that courses that require you to work in a laboratory/with children/with people in general, might be off bounds, as you are not yet legally able to take responsibility for your actions and it's unlikely that universities will be willing to do so, cause it'd cost them too much in insurance. 

Your best bet is to contact them directly and explain your situation. They might be able to put you on some individual track programme, but I'm not sure you'd really like that, as it could be quite isolating. 

Well, I have no specific preferences for majors (and that is because I usually prefer all) and haven't decided a major yet and probably never will, but for this case I think I'd choose either of these: Music, Biochemical Engineering, Physics, Computer Science, Architecture.

I am also exploring your blog and just read your story; I am very happy for you.

I think I will experience some wretchedness until finding a suitable field for my studies.

I have a question, though: Was the IB diploma sole enough for the Oxford application?

Pretty sure Oxbridge and the Ivy League do.

I thought they would be the last to accept younger students. Wow!

Edited by Veo

Well, I have no specific preferences for majors (and that is because I usually prefer all) and haven't decided a major yet and probably never will, but for this case I think I'd choose either of these: Music, Biochemical Engineering, Physics, Computer Science, Architecture.

I am also exploring your blog and just read your story; I am very happy for you.

I think I will experience some wretchedness until finding a suitable field for my studies.

I have a question, though: Was the IB diploma sole enough for the Oxford application?

Well, your grades form just a part of the application to UK universities. You also need a solid personal statement and references. But in terms of academics, the IB diploma is entirely sufficient. 

If you're looking to go to a university in Europe, you will need to make up your mind about what degree you want to study, as, unlike the US, you can't just switch between majors 15 times. UK universities will also look for proof that you actually want to study the subject you're applying for. 

I'm glad you're enjoying my blog :)

• Like 1

Sorry to say this but Oxbridge actually won't accept 15 year olds or even people who are turning 17 the year they apply.

This is due to security reasons in the UK and therefore you can't expect to be accepted into any unis in the UK (unless you happen to have a special case where you live with a parent/guardian... not quite sure how that would work though). I would definitely check out the Ivy Leagues though!

Also I'm pretty sure AUB in Lebanon would have no problem considering 15 year olds...

Good luck ya little genius!! :)

Edited by batool
  • Like 2

Sorry to say this but Oxbridge actually won't accept 15 year olds or even people who are turning 17 the year they apply.

This is due to security reasons in the UK and therefore you can't expect to be accepted into any unis in the UK (unless you happen to have a special case where you live with a parent/guardian... not quite sure how that would work though). I would definitely check out the Ivy Leagues though!

Also I'm pretty sure AUB in Lebanon would have no problem considering 15 year olds...

Oh, right!

I knew there was something peculiar and amiss about the UK. Do Scotland and Wales have the same rules (e.g. Uni of Edi)? I am still wondering if music colleges in UK will accept though.

I'll essay the Ivy League, then.

Well, all universities in Lebanon accept young students; however, I'm looking for a uni with higher ranking (AUB stands at 268 or so) and available scholarship which is obviously a rare phenomenon in here  :fish:

Thanks, good luck to you as well!   :D

Edited by Veo

Oh, right!

I knew there was something peculiar and amiss about the UK. Do Scotland and Wales have the same rules (e.g. Uni of Edi)? I am still wondering if music colleges in UK will accept though.

Well, all universities in Lebanon accept young students; however, I'm looking for a uni with higher ranking (AUB stands at 268 or so) and available scholarship which is obviously a rare phenomenon in here  :fish:

Unlikely you'll be able to get in anywhere in the UK, as I think it'd mean the university would have to assign you a guardian of sorts,  which they're unlikely to be willing to do. 

Also, university studies require a certain level of maturity - studying in the UK relies heavily on being independent and taking charge of your own education, and on top of that you'll have to take care of yourself as well: cook (if you're in an uncatered halls, which most of them are), wash your clothes, clean the flat etc. 

• Like 1

Oh, right!I knew there was something peculiar and amiss about the UK. Do Scotland and Wales have the same rules (e.g. Uni of Edi)? I am still wondering if music colleges in UK will accept though.

Unlikely you'll be able to get in anywhere in the UK, as I think it'd mean the university would have to assign you a guardian of sorts,  which they're unlikely to be willing to do. 

Also, university studies require a certain level of maturity - studying in the UK relies heavily on being independent and taking charge of your own education, and on top of that you'll have to take care of yourself as well: cook (if you're in an uncatered halls, which most of them are), wash your clothes, clean the flat etc.

This is usually the case for US universities as well, Ivy League included. There are a lot of federal regarding consent forms and things of that nature, and you would have to have a guardian for that until you turn 18. Most won't deal with a student that young (though I'm sure there have been exceptions). The majority of US schools also require at least one year of on-campus living, which may not work out for you since the average student is 18 or older and you'd be a minor, and not someone that is about to turn 18 minor, but several years younger. Like in the UK, going to uni here requires a lot of maturity since you need to be able to do most everything by yourself and learning requires a lot of independent work.

Coupled with the fact that Ivy League universities have admission rates of 2% or lower for international students, I'm not so sure this would work out for you.

• Like 2

Oh, right!I knew there was something peculiar and amiss about the UK. Do Scotland and Wales have the same rules (e.g. Uni of Edi)? I am still wondering if music colleges in UK will accept though.

This is usually the case for US universities as well, Ivy League included. There are a lot of federal regarding consent forms and things of that nature, and you would have to have a guardian for that until you turn 18. Most won't deal with a student that young (though I'm sure there have been exceptions). The majority of US schools also require at least one year of on-campus living, which may not work out for you since the average student is 18 or older and you'd be a minor, and not someone that is about to turn 18 minor, but several years younger. Like in the UK, going to uni here requires a lot of maturity since you need to be able to do most everything by yourself and learning requires a lot of independent work.

Coupled with the fact that Ivy League universities have admission rates of 2% or lower for international students, I'm not so sure this would work out for you.

Given all those conditions, you should still try! Give it your best shot but keep your expectations realistic so as to avoid disappointment x

• Like 1