What sort of score would this get? (German B SL)

Hi everyone,

With final November exams rapidly approaching I've been counting up points and trying to work out which subjects need the most work. This is a relatively easy process for Maths/Physics/Chem and even History, but I'm not fluent in German so it's exceptionally tough to see my papers the way a marker would as I might be able to do in other subjects. The high grade boundaries for Language B scare me - although my German teacher is brilliant, I'm slightly concerned that I might have been overmarked and I'd like to know where I sit definitively. The IB claim to not expect fluency at SL - but I really have no clue what that means relative to my own writing.

Could you please have a read of a practice Paper 2 I did (attached) and try your best to estimate? If possible, lean on the pessimistic side - I'm trying to be realistic here.

Deutsch Papier 2.pdf

IB expects you to be around B1 level at the end of the SL course, I believe, so to test yourself you can try out a couple of the numerous online exam practice questions :).

I read your paper and I would give you a 6 or a 7, but please, please take that with a grain of salt because I'm only in my first year of IB German (albeit HL).  I probably missed many of your small grammatical mistakes, if you have them.  One thing I saw is watch sentence construction (can be a bit English-y) and adjectival endings. 

Can you take the paper to your teacher and ask him to brutally critique it for you?

• Like 1

IB expects you to be around B1 level at the end of the SL course, I believe, so to test yourself you can try out a couple of the numerous online exam practice questions :).

I read your paper and I would give you a 6 or a 7, but please, please take that with a grain of salt because I'm only in my first year of IB German (albeit HL).  I probably missed many of your small grammatical mistakes, if you have them.  One thing I saw is watch sentence construction (can be a bit English-y) and adjectival endings. 

Can you take the paper to your teacher and ask him to brutally critique it for you?

Cheers for your response. I've sent it to my teacher - my intention was to compare his grade to what others thought to put all the other grades I've ever received into context. I tend to be given around 90% (plus or minus 5%) on my Paper 2s, and I reckon this is a pretty normal Paper 2 by my standards - hence I wondered if my grades are slightly inflated, since I'm far from fluent.

Could you give some examples of "English-y" sentence construction in my paper?

Edited by UncleChopChop

I think you are underestimating yourself! What I read I thought was really good, and I'm not good enough to pull out the mistakes myself.  I mostly posted to suggest taking the B1 paper :)

I think you have a great vocabulary and very good command of grammar, plus you actually had something interesting to say about the question, which is always nice.  I think you definitely deserve a 90!

Also, on another inspection, your sentence construction is not as English as I thought.  The sentence which initially made me think "that sounds a bit like English" was the second part of "Durch diese Wochen habe ich realisiert, wie abhaengig am (that should be von, btw) Handys wir sind" - but you're totally correct.  To me, it just seems like an odd clause to have the same word order as English.  I only thought it once or twice anyway.  So, basically, ignore me.  I did say a grain of salt :P

Our teacher says you don't have to be fluent, you have to be comprehensible and be effective at getting the point across - which means you need to be good, but not grammatically *perfect*.  

I know exams started today.  Good luck!

• Like 1