What are your school's CAS standards?

NiCKEL

I'm just wondering because at my school we must:

-write reflections at least once a month

-complete a log sheet which contains supervisor initials; checked every 3 or so months

-individual activities should not be more than 20 hours unless you already surpassed 50 total hours in that category (to avoid only doing one thing forever)

-CAS project with a sponsor teacher and minimum 10 hours

-supervisor reviews must be decently long and directly talk about learning outcomes ("The student showed commitment, undertaking of new challenges..)

-activities are hard to get approved if they're class based

While in my friends school, the rules are more like:

-write 3 reflections each month

-no log sheet

-similar max rule on activities

-supervisor review not directly talking about learning outcomes are ok ("the student did a good job in this activity")

-loose rules about activity approval

Just wondering what your requirements are like, because I was takling to my supervisor and he mentioned he is so picky becaus that way we won't get screwed by a moderator later...but are they really that bad?

my school uses managebac which is a website made to manage cas ee and some subjects and we post reflections there

we don't have a number of reflections a month, but we have class once a fortnight and our teacher calls out peoples names who have done nothing over the last 2 weeks to shame them which doesn't really work because no one cares but she tries

our "log sheets" are done on managebac through reflections which are dated--can include pictures, video, audio, links etc

we don't have a limit on how many hours we have to do per C A S or per activity. we're told to aim for roughly 50 in each but i've done about 200-250 for each so there isn't an actual limit for us. an activity can have any number or hours but we're encouraged to have long term activities rather than one off events. for example, we had a social justice group at school and that was 1 lunchtime a week for a year, so I put that as about 40 hours. but i also had one-of events like 40 hour famine which i also listed as 40 hours because thats how long it took if that makes sense.

i think our cas project guidelines are similar

my cas coordinator doesn't really care too much about supervisor reviews and they can be short

and just about any activity is approved except learning to drive which in australia is 120 hours and none of us could log that which sucked lol

• 1 month later...

My school also uses managebac but what changed for our grade (DP1) is that we have amount of activities instead of hours. Within those activities we have to achieve 7 learning outcomes and prove that we've fulfilled them. It's a smart way of preventing people from faking their CAS hours, also this requires a lot of time. I have about 60 hours already but I've only completed 6 acitivites and 3/7 learning outcomes that are needed in order to receive the CAS diploma

Edited by Arieta Hamiti

We use a school created site. (as of about two years ago, before I think they did everything on paper)

Before March of our exams year we must:

complete 150 hours (50 of each)

meet the learning outcomes

write three reflections 

attend a few group meetings

attend a few one-on-one meetings

submit a collection of proof that we did the things we said we did

Our rules are:

• Complete 10 one-offs with a 3 : 3 : 4 ratio for Creative, Action, Service, but not necessarily in that order - we have a sheet for that, and we take a photo of it then upload it to under documents as proof - each must be signed off by an adult who is not your parent
  • You have six majors which must fulfil at least two learning outcomes and have to occur for at least two months
  • You have to have each learning outcome twice in all your activities
  • Must have at least around 20 hours for each major but it's not counted - it's just to prevent us from only doing an activity for five hours and passing it off as a major
  • Your description for the activity must include a goal, how the learning outcomes are going to be developed in the activity, and how often meetings will be
  • No minimum or limit for reflections as it will depend, but if you have too few, you will get called out on it - quality of the reflections over quantity of reflections - and you have to mention how Creativity/Action/Service was shown and how the learning outcome was developed but you don't have to reflect after each session
  • Must have at least one piece of evidence of involvement uploaded (e.g. photos of emails, documents, photos of you doing the activity...)
  • Must have a final reflection for the major which gives an overall view of how you've developed
  • Must answer the CAS questions at the end
  • Have to have finished 3/4 CAS activities by the end of IB1
  • If you can justify your activity to your teachers, you can get it to count as a major, but some are more difficult so they're discouraged.
  • CAS project must last at least six months and have five learning outcomes + all the other requirements for CAS project
Edited by Guest

At my school we had to complete 150 hours (roughly 50 hours for each) 

- Complete a blog entry for every activity we complete

- Address all the learning outcomes

- Write a final reflection

- Meet with supervisors (every so often) 

- Complete 100 hours within the first year

- Complete a larger project

- We were not allowed to lo more than 10 hours per activity 

- We needed our activities to be signed by a witness

- and finished before our Nov 2015 exams!

• 1 month later...

* Complete 150 hours of CAS [50 for each C, A ,S]

* Meet all the learning outcomes

* Complete a 'CAS Project', an activity can only qualify as a project if it involves at least two areas of C, A and S.

* Write logsheets which is signed at the very least weekly

* Write reflections for each activity by the end of every semester

* Provide photo evidence for each activity which needs to be related to the learning outcome.

* Complete 75% of CAS in the first year (roughly 110 hrs)

* All activities must be finished by 31th of December 2015 (i.e. first semester of year 12)

* All reflections must be finished by 22th of January 2016

I'm a bit curious, do your schools require you to finish your CAS activities by 31th of December? Because I didn't see any rules regarding this in the guidebook and furthermore I am missing out a few hours, if the IB doesn't specify this might as well relax a bit.

Edited by udvuvvdu

I'm a bit curious, do your schools require you to finish your CAS activities by 31th of December? Because I didn't see any rules regarding this in the guidebook and furthermore I am missing out a few hours, if the IB doesn't specify this might as well relax a bit.

I'm in the southern hemisphere so ours are generally to-be-finished by the end of the first half of IB2, but I believe it's because they don't want you to be doing CAS right before exams when you should be focusing entirely on exams. The idea is to get it all out of the way beforehand so you're not doing CAS whilst studying for six subjects, all of which count for 50% to 80% of your final grade.