Should I take physics to study computer science?

Pingu

Hi guys, I'm currently taking maths, compsci and physics HL. I think it'll be a challenge to get a 7 in physics HL, and I'm considering dropping it for economics HL.

Do you think that taking physics HL would make my uni application stronger? Will knowing physics help me at all?

My thinking is that it's easier to get a 7 in physics SL, but maybe that's wrong?

Thanks!

Hello,

I have the exact same HLs and had the exact same doubt at the beginning of my first year. What made me conclude on physics was the fact that the more prestigious universities would like you to have a natural science as an HL because it is useful and proves you have certain skills e.g. knowledge of the electricity chapter could help with understanding the hardware layer more in depth. However, if physics is something that will ruin your application and you really can't stand then it is certainly better to go with Economics. Taking it at SL would be a little bit easier but I have realized that physics is a lot closer to computer science as a subject than Economics. Also, as you are taking maths HL if you find it challenging too maybe it would be better to focus on getting a 7 in maths HL (which is more important for computer science) and ease your workload by not taking physics HL. Overall, if you feel like you could by studying hard get a 7 in Physics definitely go for Physics.