How to structure part C?

tedadorno

I am in my second year, and both my english AND my history + TOK teacher left after last year.  My new history teacher has not taught anything like the IB in years, she's been teaching civics and economics to 9th grader for like the past 5 or 6 years.  Of course she has no idea how to do the IA, so more or less I've been mimicking the samples from last year's IAs, including the part C.

So we turned in our Part C, and she said that we structured our part C wrong.

This is a snippet from I wrote, and what she said about it:

I wrote:

The origin of this source is a limitation, as his status as the Professor Emeritus of Near Eastern Studies at Princeton University, and his time as a soldier in the British Army in World War 2 may cause him to select sources that displays the Ottoman Empire as weaker or inferior to the West.

She commented:

are you addressing origin or limitations?

I don't really think this is an either/or, I went into detail about the origin, and then talked about how the origin was a limitation.

She says we're supposed to write out the entire origin and purpose of the source, and then go into the value and limitation of them.

Does this really matter to the IB?

I am in my second year, and both my english AND my history + TOK teacher left after last year.  My new history teacher has not taught anything like the IB in years, she's been teaching civics and economics to 9th grader for like the past 5 or 6 years.  Of course she has no idea how to do the IA, so more or less I've been mimicking the samples from last year's IAs, including the part C.

I wrote:

The origin of this source is a limitation, as his status as the Professor Emeritus of Near Eastern Studies at Princeton University, and his time as a soldier in the British Army in World War 2 may cause him to select sources that displays the Ottoman Empire as weaker or inferior to the West.

She commented:

I don't really think this is an either/or, I went into detail about the origin, and then talked about how the origin was a limitation.

She says we're supposed to write out the entire origin and purpose of the source, and then go into the value and limitation of them.

Umm yeah you really need to add more detail and you're supposed to talk about both purpose and limitation to get full marks. Ideally, you need two values and one limitation or two limitations and one value. You're also supposed to refer to the purpose of the source to connect to value and limitations (is it meant to provide a fair minded conclusion? Is it propaganda? How does this link to value/limitation?). For example, you come across a source that is an excerpt from a book by some professor and the purpose is to provide a fair minded conclusion on a historical event. A value is that it speaks of the event in hindsight, so there is a more holistic understanding of the event. A limit could be that it doesn't come to a clear conclusion on what the writer thinks (Ik vague and bad example but you get the point).

Hope I helped! 

I wrote:

She commented:

Umm yeah you really need to add more detail and you're supposed to talk about both purpose and limitation to get full marks. Ideally, you need two values and one limitation or two limitations and one value. You're also supposed to refer to the purpose of the source to connect to value and limitations (is it meant to provide a fair minded conclusion? Is it propaganda? How does this link to value/limitation?). For example, you come across a source that is an excerpt from a book by some professor and the purpose is to provide a fair minded conclusion on a historical event. A value is that it speaks of the event in hindsight, so there is a more holistic understanding of the event. A limit could be that it doesn't come to a clear conclusion on what the writer thinks (Ik vague and bad example but you get the point).

Hope I helped! 

I wrote:

She commented:

In short, yes the basic structure of OPVLs matter to IB. 

Basically with OPVLs the layout is values and limitations with respect to the origin and purpose. Meaning, that you must address the origin and give the value(s) and limitation(s). In addition, you must address the purpose and give the value(s) and limitation(s). [That should take at least six sentences, one for each] For OPVLs you don't need to have more than one value and limitation. 

If you are having trouble understanding the format of what exactly constitutes an OPVL, I have linked to a chart that I used in class in order to learn how to do them (link)

If you are needing ideas for values and limitations for various documents, I have also included a link to some here (link)

If you have further questions, please feel free to message me.

• Like 1

Is it supposed to be two limitations and one values/two values and one limitation per source?

ok scrap what I said about having one value and two limitations/two values and one limitation because I thought you meant paper 1 (I'm sorry.. I'm stupid) 

Ok so for the IA, you only need one value and one limitation for each source, but yeah you need to elaborate more on your values and limitations. 

Edited by ShootingStar16
  • Like 1