Switching to visual arts HL in IB year 2 ?

loba

Hello,

I'm currently in IB diploma year 2. I take English A SL, Arabic BHL , chemistry HL, psychology SL, economics HL, and math SL.

I do really good on all my subjects especially psychology, except economics HL I do bad at it! And I think the reason to that is that I don't just think that the teacher is bad , I HATE the subject itself and what we take.

I was think to switching to visual arts HL from economics because I'm so sick of it and the teacher. If I switch it's going to be self study because my school doesn't offer it yet and I'm in year 2 IB so it will be limited time. But art is what I really love and am passionate about it. I'm also really talented in painting and drawing and I'm also very knowledgeable about artists and art movements and techniques (to some extent). I won locally last year in an arts competition and I got a good place in an international art competition last year.

Do you think it is sensible and good for me to switch or am I going to take a really bad dessision ? I used to also take art in pre IB

I wouldn't recommend it. Visual Arts requires a lot of time – and in your second year I don't think you have a lot of time to spare  :P At HL you need 13-25 pages of process portfolio (where you experiment with different mediums, do artist research, etc) and 8-11 final artworks, as well as the Comparative Study. In my school we did most of the experimentation plus a few final pieces in our first year and now we're working on getting the Comparative Study and all the other final pieces done. You have to consider that doing all that in just one year can be really time-consuming and you'll probably need to work a lot a home.

But then again, if you're really passionate about art and you think you can manage to do all the work and get a better grade than you would in Economics then maybe you could try it out. 

Good luck  :bye: